Boggy Depot State Park
580-889-5625. Hwy 7 & Park Access Road, 74525.
This park gets its name from Clear Boggy Creek which flows to the east and from its use as a Confederate commissary depot during the Civil War. Located along the old Texas Road between Ft. Gibson and Ft. Washita, Boggy Depot was a well established crossroads during the Civil War. Park features include a fishing lake, nature/walking trail, softball/baseball diamond, playground, picnic tables, group picnic shelters, campsites and comfort stations with showers.
Confederate Museum and Cemetery
http://www.civilwaralbum.com/atoka e-mail: email@example.com
580-889-7192, Fax: 580-889-7192. 258 N. Hwy 69, 1/2 mi N. of city, 74525. Open M-Sat 9-4, Free, Donations are appreciated.
Located on the site of a Confederate outpost throughout the Civil War, the museum features Civil War artifacts found in the area as well as Choctaw Indian and local artifacts. Confederate soldiers who died during the Civil War are buried in the cemetery on the grounds.
Ralph Cain Jr. Memorial Newspaper Museum
580-987-2321. Off Hwy 45, 73726. Open by appt. Free.
Demonstrations of 1916 newspaper printing using handset type and vintage equipment; Civil War tent and artifacts.
Civil War Life
November (November 16, 2002, 4-7pm)
http://checotah.lakewebs.net/honeysprings E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
At the Honey Springs Battlefield, Free.
A series of encampments designed to educate the public about the Civil War battlefield at Honey Springs. The public is invited to this historic site while trails to battle lines and a new Visitors Center are in the process of planning and construction. The encampments will feature "spring musters" of recruits conducted by two major Civil War re-enactor organizations: the Frontier Battalion and the Trans Mississippi Battalion.
Honey Springs Battle Site
http://checotah.lakewebs.net/honeysprings E-mail: email@example.com
918-473-5572. 1863 Honey Springs Battlefield Road, 74426. Battlefield Trails: Tue-Sat 8am-5pm, Sun 1-5pm. Interpretive Center: Tue-Sat 9am-4:30pm, Sun 1-4:30pm. Closed Monday and state holidays. $
Site of the first official Civil War battle ever fought between black, Indian and white troops, and the first battle won by black soldiers. Features graveled walking trails with wayside interpretive exhibits. Primitive hiking trails and camp sites are currently under development. The visitors' center interpretive exhibits feature arms and equipment and biographical histories of participants. The Bookstore features Civil War related books, postcards, t-shirts and souvenirs. Reenactments of the July 17, 1863 battle are held every 3 years.
Honey Springs Battle Reenactment
September (September 27-29, 2002)
At the Honey Springs Battle Site
Living history event held every three years by the Oklahoma Historical Society on the grounds of the original Civil War battle.
FORT WASHITA HISTORIC SITE
(580) 924-6502. 3348 State Road 199, 74701-8503. Open Monday - Saturday 9am - 5pm Sunday 1 - 5pm. Free
reconstructed historic structures of frontier fort operated during 1840's and
1850's by U.S. Army and during Civil War by Confederates, such as Gen. Zachary
Taylor, Capt. Robert E. Lee, Davy Crockett and Jim Bowie, who stopped there en
route to the Alamo. Tour the reconstructed 1849 barracks to learn how the
soldiers spent their days. A museum and preserved remains of several pre-Civil
War military buildings presents a unique picture of military life in the West.
FORT GIBSON HISTORIC SITE
918-478-4088, Fax: 918-478-4089. 907 N. Garrison 74434. Winter hours (Sept. 15 - Apr. 14): T- Sun 10- 5. Exhibits closed to the public M- W but guided tours and school programs reservations will remain available throughout the week. Summer hours (Apr. 15 - Sept. 14): Tu- Sun 10- 5. Exhibits will be closed to the public on M and posted holidays, but guided tours and school program reservations will remain available throughout the week. Closed major holidays.
First army post in the Indian Territory, in operation 1824 - 1890. Eighty acres of grounds with 29 historic buildings and numerous archaeological ruins. Exhibits and living history programs relate to the settlement of the Indian Territory and the development of the fort through its 70 years of occupation. A National Historic Landmark and designated American Treasure.
Fort Gibson Lake
Fort Gibson Lake
lies in the hills of eastern Oklahoma where the Cherokee Indians maintained a
self-governing nation for 60 years. In the spring, timbered hills provide the
sightseer with the beauty of redbud, sand plum, dogwood and haws blossoms. In
the fall, the colorful foliage of hickory, oak, red maple, blackgum and woodbine
sets the hills aglow.
The lake was named for nearby Fort Gibson, which played an important role in the military history of Oklahoma. the fort was abandoned in 1857, reoccupied during the Civil War and served as an agency during development of the west. Fully abandoned in 1890, only a reconstructed log stockade now stands on the original site.
Fishing at Fort Gibson is excellent. Fish species include black bass, white bass, crappie and several varieties of catfish and panfish. Fort Gibson Public Hunting Area, on the lake near Wagoner, covers 21,798 acres, with 3,500 acres devoted to a waterfowl refuge. Hunters will find game species such as whitetail deer, bobwhite quail, mourning dove, waterfowl, geese, cottontail rabbit, squirrel and prairie chicken.
Additional facilities: boat ramps, picnic areas, designated campsites, drinking water, group shelters, restrooms, showers, swimming beaches, marina, enclosed fishing dock, and concession services. Shoreline length: 225 miles.
FORT TOWSON HISTORIC SITE
580-873-2634, Fax: 580-873-9385. Fort Towson, OK 74735, One half mile east and one mile north of Fort Towson community and Hwy 70. Open Tu-Sat 9-5, Sun 1-5. Free
Historic structures of frontier fort operated from 1820s to 1850s by U.S. Army and during Civil War by the Confederates. Site of Civil War General Stand Watie's surrender in 1865. Artifacts on display. Picnic tables.
Veterans day History and Education Program
November (Nov 11, 2002 9- 2)
580-335-5844. Courthouse and Pioneer Townsite Center, 73542. Free
program with a memorial ceremony at the Courthouse and Pioneer Townsite.
Includes presentations by interpreters in Civil War and Spanish-American War
uniforms and accouterments.
General Stand Watie Grave Site
918-786-9079. Polson Cemetery, Southeast of Grove, 74344
General Stand Watie was the last Confederate General to surrender during the Civil War. He was the only full-blooded Native American to receive the rank of Brigadier General during the Civil War.
918-423-5953. 500 W Stonewall, 74502. Open by appt.
collection; Oklahoma State Penitentiary items, dolls, Coca Cola items, antique
tools, Civil War documents.
918-781-7283. 2299 Old Bacone Road, Bacone College, 74403. Open W-Sun 8-5. $
Ataloa Lodge Museum, built in 1932 on historic Bacone College's campus, is Native American operated and houses more than 20,000 pieces of traditional and contemporary Native American art, items of daily and ceremonial use, as well as Civil War memorabilia. A gift shop offers prints, t-shirts and jewelry. The museum is also a cultural and Native American genealogical resource for local schools and the surrounding communities.
Nowata CO Historical Museum
918-273-1191. 1215 Pine, 74048. Tu-Sat 1-4 or by appt. Free
Twenty-four rooms tracing Nowata County history, filled with artifacts ranging from the Civil War to the Oil Boom, from farming and cattle to the wild west and much more. Period dentist office, laundry, etc.
Territory Town Museum
918-623-2604. 5 mi. W on I-40 at SH 48, 74859. Open Summer: M-Sun 8-8; Winter: Mon-Sat 8-6. $
western memorabilia, Oklahoma history items, guns, Civil War artifacts,
HONEY SPRINGS BATTLEFIELD PARK,
The Engagement at Honey Springs was the largest of more than 100 hostile encounters in the Indian Territory during the War Between the States (and is cited as "The Affair at Elk Creek" by Confederates). The conflict occurred July 17, 1863, between Federal units under the leadership of Maj. Gen. James G. Blunt and Southern troops commanded by Brig. Gen. Douglas H. Cooper.
STATE MUSEUM OF HISTORY,
405-521-2491, 405-522-5244. 2100 N. Lincoln Blvd. 73105. M-Sat 9-5. Free
Just across the street from the State Capitol, the museum presents a comprehensive historical overview of Oklahoma, from prehistoric times to oil field wildcatters to the space program.
GEORGE M. MURRELL MANSION
918-456-2751, Fax: 918-456-2751. 19479 E. Murrell Home Road, 74451. Open: April - Labor Day: Wednesday - Saturday, 10am - 5pm; Sunday, 1-5pm. September, October and March: Friday & Saturday, 10am - 5pm; Sunday 1 - 5pm. November - February: Saturday 10am - 5pm; Sunday 1 - 5pm. Free
Historic mansion built in 1845 by wealthy merchant, George M. Murrell, who married the niece of Cherokee Chief John Ross, stands as a tribute to the antebellum era of the Cherokee Nation. Most of the furnishing are original. Artifacts and implements used during that time period can be viewed. Beautiful park like grounds include original springhouse and 1898 smokehouse. Adjacent Murrell Home Park offers picnic tables, nature trail and Park Hill Creek.
Civil War Monument/Second Battle of Cabin Creek
918-256-7133. 3 miles N of Pensacola off Hwy 28. Open daily.
Twelve-acre Civil War battle site features granite monument and markers that tell the story of this 1862 Confederate victory. Periodic reenactments take place.
918-396-7558. 115 S Broadway, 74070. Open Tu-F 1-4. Free
1912 home of local physician has related displays & Civil War artifacts from the Bird Creek Basin & Quawpaw Creek. Those interested in their family tree of Skiatook's past can view personal papers, documents and photographs of the pioneer families, events and places which are recorded here. Museum also features a microfilm reader which visitors can use to research newspapers dating back to April 1905 when the first newspaper in Skiatook was published.
Washington Irving Trail Museum
http://www.cowboy.net/nonprofit/irving/ E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
405-624-9130. East Highway 51, 74074. Open W-Sat 10-5, Sun 1-5. Other times by appointment Closed Christmas and New Years. Free
off-the-beaten-path museum is filled with exhibits about Oklahoma's fascinating
past. Learn about early-day lawmen and outlaws, explorers, Indian Territory's
first Civil War battle, and the beginnings of country music. The Gerald Johnson
wing includes an extensive collection of early Southwest Indian artifacts. Along
with the museum, you'll find an antique shop specializing in unusual and
CABIN CREEK BATTLEFIELD,
918-256-7133, 405-522-5241. 74301
Considered one of the most complete battles of the Civil War. Reenactments held every three years by the Oklahoma Historical Society. Tours available. Call for directions.
Webbers Falls Historical Museum
918-464-7730, 918-464-2728. Commercial & Main, 74470. Open Th-Sub 12-4. Free
Offers a complete history of Oklahoma's early-day Cherokee settlers. Includes a special emphasis on Confederate General Stand Watie and his Cherokee Mounted Riflemen, who survived a civil war within the Cherokee Tribe, only to be defeated as part of the Confederacy during the Civil War. Webbers Falls was named for Chief Walter Webber and the Falls on the Arkansas River. Chief Webber settled here in 1828 and established a trading post, making Webbers Falls the second oldest town in Oklahoma. Webbers Falls was known as the gateway to Indian Territory. Many U.S. Marshals traveled back and forth from Webbers Falls to Ft. smith and the courtroom of Judge Isaac Parker, better know as "Hanging Judge Parker."
Seminole Nation Museum
405-257-5580. 524 S. Wewoka, 74884. Open Tu-Sat 1-5. Closed Jan. Free
history and culture of the Seminole Indian Nation, the Freedmen and the early
Oklahoma Pioneers since 1849. The Pioneer Wing represents early-day Wewoka and
includes a Memorial Walk; the military room honors local servicemen and women
and contains memorabilia and artifacts dating from the Civil War; the Seminole
Wing depicts the life and culture of the Seminoles and also tells the story of
the Freedmen, the African American men and women who became citizens of the
Seminole Nation after the Civil War; an art gallery, research library and a gift
shop are also on site.