South Carolina Dept. of Parks, Recreation and Tourism
803-734-1700, Fax: 803-734-0138; PO Box 71, Columbia, SC 29202
Greater Abbeville COC and Welcome Center
864-459-4600. 107 Court Sq, 29620.
864-459-4297. 400 N. Main St, 29620. Open F-Sat 1-5 (Feb-May & Sept-Dec); Tu-Sat 1-5 (June-Aug) or by appointment. $
Built in the 1830s, this Greek Revival house was the site of the first reading of the secession papers, giving birth to the Confederacy. The "Cause" died here as well. On May 2, 1865, less than a month after Lee's surrender at Appomattox, the war council of the Confederate forces met with Pres. Jefferson Davis and formally disbanded the armies.
St. Thaddeus Episcopal Church
803-648-5497. Richland & Pendleton Sts, 29801. Open daily
Built in 1842 and renovated in 1926, this is the oldest church in Aiken. Botanist Henry Ravenel and poet James Matthews Legare are interred behind the sanctuary. Only Confederate soldiers who died in the 1865 Battle of Aiken were allowed burial privileges here.
Church of the Holy Apostles
803-259-3477, Fax: 803-259-0042. Hwy 278, Hagood Ave, 29812. Open daily, Sun worship 11am.
Built in 1856 of cypress in the typical Gothic style of the English Parish Church, this Episcopal sanctuary was used as a stable for Union horses by Gen. Kilpartick during Sherman's 1865 march of destruction. The soldiers used the large baptismal font, believed to date from medieval times, as a watering trough. The altar window, a gift of Gov. James Hammond, was removed and buried along with the church silver to save it from Sherman's troops.
Greater Beaufort COC & Visitor Center
E-mail: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
843-986-5405, 800-638-3525. 1106 Carteret St. 29902
843-524-3925; 1601 Boundary St, 29902. Open daily. Free
Abraham Lincoln established this cemetery for soldiers who died in the Civil War. In later years, soldiers of all wars were authorized burial here. Of the 7,500 Civil War soldiers buried here, 4,019 are unknown Union soldiers and 117 are unknown Confederate.
Parris Island Museum
843-525-2951, Fax: 843-525-3065. Bldg 111, Panama St, 29905. Open M-W, Sat & Sun 10-4:30; Th 10-7, F 8-4:30. Free, W
The 10,000-sq-ft facility focuses ont he history of Parris Island from 1564 to present day. Exhibits cover the American Revolution and Civil War in the Low country, 16th century Spanish and French settlements on Parris Island, archaeology, WWI &II, Korea, Vietnam and Desert Storm. The musem also has a theater and archives.
Sheldon Church Ruins
Hwys 21 & 235. Open daily. Free
Sheldon Church has lain in ruins for more than 120 years. Its gable roof, pediment, windows and interior have disappeared, but the classic simplicity if its design still remains and is a haunting monument to the tragedy of war. Burned by British troops in 1779, the church was rebuilt, then burned again by Sherman in 1865. Memorial services are held on the 2nd Sunday after Easter.
St. Helena's Episcopal Church
843-522-1712. 507 Newcastle St, 29901. Docents are on duty M-F 10-4, Sat 10-12. Free.
Founded in 1712, St Helena's came through the Revolution and served as a hospital during the Civil War, when its fat tombstones became operating tables.
843-524-6335, Fax: 843-524-6240. 801 Bay St, 29901. Open M-F 11-4. $
Built in 1800-1805 by John Mark Verdier, a prosperous merchant and planter, this is one of the finest examples of a federal-style home. Interior architecture details include an elaborate arch in the entrance hallway. During its history, the Verdier House served as the post headquarters for Union soldiers during the Civil War and was the site of the first telephone exchange in Beaufort. The house is in Beaufort's historic landmark district.
Jennings-Brown House & Marlboro CO Historical Museum
843-479-5624, 123 S. Marlboro St, 29512. Open M-F 10-5. Free, W
The 1826 Jennings-Brown house with its detached kitchen and period furnishings shares the grounds with the Marlboro CO Historical Museum, where exhibits detail the county's history, Civil War involvement, farming methods and early textile business.
Charleston Area CVB and Visitor Center
843-853-8000, Tourism info only: 800-774-0006, Fax: 843-853-0444. 375 Meeting St, PO Box 975, 29402.
Charleston Civil War Visitor Information
Civil War Walking Tour
843-722-7033; 17 Archdale St. Opens daily at 9am.
Two-hour guided tour of Confederate Charleston
First (Scots) Presbyterian Church
843-722-8882; 53 Meeting St, 29401.
Founded by Caledonian immigrants in 1731. The first congregation was made up of 12 Scottish families who left the Independent Church of Charles Town in 1731. The present church, built in 1814, has the Scottish Seal etched in stained glass over the main entrance. The bells, which the church voted to give to the Confederacy in 1863, have never been replaced.
St. John's Lutheran Church
www.stjohns-luthern.org E-mail: email@example.com
843-723-2426, Fax: 843-577-2543. 5 Clifford St, 29407. Open M-F 9:30-3:30. Free, W
Established in 1742, this is the "mother church" of Lutheranism in South Carolina. Located in Charleston's Historic District, the present church edifice's Greek Revival style was dedicated in 1818, the second on the site. Both the cemetery and the building are listed in the National Registry of Historic Places. The front entrance gates represent some of the finest wrought iron work in Charleston's Gateway Walk. The church bell was given to the Confederacy for gunmetal. The tower now rings with a 19-bell cast bronze carillon.
St. Philip's Episcopal Church
843-722-7734, Fax: 843-722-6978. 146 Church St, 29401. Open M-F 10-12 & 2-4. Free
Established in 1670, this "mother church" of the Province originally stood on the site where St. Michael's stands today. The present building, constructed 1835-1838, saw its bells converted into cannons during the Civil War. new bells were placed in the steeple in 1976. In St. Philip's churchyard are the graves of John C. Calhoun, secretary of war and VP of the US, Edward Rutledge, a signer of the Declaration of Independence, Charles Pinckney, a signer of the Constitution, and Dubose Heyward, author of Porgy.
Cheraw Visitors Bureau
843-537-8425, 888-537-0014. 221 Market St, 29520.
843-537-8425, 888-537-0014, Fax: 843-537-5886. 221 Market St, 29520. Open M-F 9-5 and by appt. Keys may be picked up at the COC, 221 Market St. 843-537-8425. Free.
The Lyceum (c. 1820) began as a chancery court, became the Lyceum Meeting Room and private library, served as Cheraw's first telegraph office, and was both the Confederate and Union quartermasters' headquarters. It now houses a museum depicting Cheraw's history, Indian artifacts, steamboat and Confederate relics.
Old St. David's Episcopal Church
843-537-8425, 888-537-0014, Fax: 843-537-5886. 91 Church St, 29520. Open M-F 9-5 and By appointment. Obtain a key to the interior at the COC, 221 Market St. 843-537-8425. Free
The last Anglican or "State" church built (c. 1770) in South Carolina under King George III. The church was used by the Americans and British during the Revolution and later by both the Confederate and Union armies. The cemetery contains soldiers from every American War and a Confederate monument, the first ever erected (c. 1867) in memory of those who had fallen in the Civil War. The original inscription did not mention Confederate soldiers directly because Union forces still occupied the area. The steeple and vestibule were added in 1826.
Chester CO COC
www.chesterchamber.com E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
803-581-4142, Fax: 803-581-2431. PO Box 489, 29706
Chester CO Historical Society Museum
803-385-2330. 107 McAliley St, 29706. Open W 11-3 and by appt. Free
Houses notable collections of Native American artifacts, firearms from the Revolutionary era to the present, period costumes and relics from the Civil War in a 1914 jail behind the county courthouse.
Columbia Metropolitan CVB
803-254-0479, 800-264-4884, Fax: 803-799-6529. 1276 Assembly St, Po Box 15, 29202.
Greater Columbia Area COC
803-733-1110. PO Box 1360, 29202
First Baptist Church
803-256-4251; 1306 Hampton St, 29201. Open daily 8-5. Sunday service 10:30am. Tours availble upon request. Free, W
The first Secession Convention was held here in December 1860, a year after the church was built. The business of Secession then moved to Charleston. The pulpit furnishings, slave gallery and brick-pillared portico are as they were then.
South Carolina Confederate Relic Room and Museum
803-898-8095, Fax: 803-898-8099; 920 Sumter St, 29201. Open M-F 8:30-5, 1st & 3rd Sat 10-5. Free
The Wade Hampton Chapter of United Daughters of the Confederacy organized the SC Confederate Relic Room and Museum in December 1895 as a memorial to South Carolinians who fought in the Civil War. The museum is housed in the World War Memorial building, built in 1935 as a tribute to South Carolinians who fought in WWI. Exhibits focus on South Carolina's distinguished military heritage from the Colonial era to present, with emphasis on the state's confederate era.
803-734-2430, Fax: 803-734-2439; Main and Gervais Sts., 29201. Open M-F 9-5, Sat 10-5, 1st Sun of month 1-5. Guided tours M-F 9-12, 1:30-3:30 on the hour and half hour. Sat tours10:30,11:30 and 3:30. 1st Sunday of month tours are at 1:30 and 3:30. Call for Summer tour schedule. Closed all State holidays.
The History of South Carolina's State House is as colorful as the state itself. Begun in 1851, the original architect was dismissed for fraud and dereliction of duty and the structure dismantled due to defective materials. Work on a new structure was begun in 1855 and suspended in 1865 as Sherman's Union Army swept through leaving its mark on Columbia and the Sate House. Completed in 1907, the copper-domed granite building today wears six bronze stars to mark hits from Sherman's cannons. The newly dedicated African-American Monument is on State House grounds.
803-499-1999. 6631 Meeting House Rd, 29040.
Robert Brown offers a Civil War tour specifically on Potters raid, the last action of the Civil War in SC.
Edisto Island Museum
843-869-1954. SC 174, 29438. Open T, Th, Sat 1-4. $
Displays memorabilia that recall sea island plantation life, the Civil War and the island's early Native American inhabitants. Gift shop on site.
Broxton Bridge Plantation's Breastworks
803-267-3882, 800-437-4868, Fax: 803-437-4868. Open M-Sat dawn-dusk, Sun am by appt only. $
The Civil War breastworks on the grounds of this privately owned plantation have been perfectly preserved. In addition to the breastworks, two houses - one built in 1850 and one in 1880 - have been restored and are now used as a bed and breakfast. Property has been features on "Carolina Camera" and the site is a favorite for historical tours. Lunch or dinner can be served with prior arrangement. A banquet hall seats approximately 130 people for meetings, conferences, receptions, etc.
Reenactment of the Battle of Rivers Bridge
803-267-3675. Contact: Jerry Rice, Park Manager Rt. 1, Box 190, 29081
January 30-31, 2002
A realistic encampment, living history demonstrations and lantern tours observe the 133rd anniversary of the Civil War battle of River Bridge
Rivers Bridge State Historic Site NRHP
803-267-3675. 325 State Park Rd, 29081. Open daily 9-9 (Apr-Oct); Th-M 9-6 (Nov-Mar). Free, W
In the waning days of the Civil War, Gen. William T. Sherman's Union troops clashed with Confederate soldiers as a place called Rivers Bridge on the Salkehatchie River. Although vastly outnumbered, the Southerners held the crossing for tow days before being forced out of their breastworks. The battle of River Bridge, Feb 2-3, 1865, was the only major resistance encountered by Sherman's army on its historic march through the state. The earthen fortifications that guarded this crossing remain today as a stark silent monument to the battle. Periodic educational programs are held to interpret the battle and military life during the Civil War.
843-664-0330, 800-325-9005, Fax: 843-665-9480. 3290 W Radio Rd, 29501.
War Between the States Museum
www.warbetweenthestates.com E-mail: email@example.com
843-669-1266. 107 S. Guerry St, 29501. Open W & Sat 10-5. Closed M,T,Th,F,Sun, & Christmas. $
This museum deals in artifacts and memorabilia relating to the period from 1850-1900. Pictures of military personalities are displayed in the museum, as well as many items from the Florence Stockade (Union prison camp). A reference library dealing with this time period is available for public use, and the museum employees will help visitors with their genealogy searches. A gift shop is on the site.
Prince George Winyah Episcopal Church
843-546-4358, 301 Broad St, 29442. Open M-F 11:30-4:30 (Mar-Oct)
Est. in 1721 by the Church of England to serve Colonists in the area. The church features original box pews and an English stained-glass window at the back of the altar. The gallery and chancel were added in 1809. Built around 1750 w/ old brick from British ships' ballasts, the Prince George Winyah Episcopal Church was twice held by enemy troops - British troops during the Revolutionary War and Union Troops during the Civil War.
Blue and Gray Encampment
843-564-7706. PO Box 939, 29442.
August 17, 2002
The Kaminiski House Museum is the setting for this day long encampment of Confederate and Union groups. Enjoy parades, rifle and cannon demonstrations and reenactments of camp life during the Civil War.
16th SC Volunteers Museum of Confederate History
864-421-9039, 15 Boyce Ave, 29602. Open W 10-3, F 5-9pm, Sat 10-5, Sun 1-5. Donations accepted.
Located in downtown Greenville's Pettigru Historic District near the BI-LO Center, the museum houses a collection of Confederate relics and artifacts, both military and personal, as well as a research library. Gift shop on site.
Greater Hartsville COC
www.hartsvillechamber.org E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
843-332-6401, 888-427-8720, Fax: 843-332-8017. PO Box 578, 29551.
Jacob Kelley House
843-332-4508. 2585 Kelleytown Rd, 29550. Open 1st Sun 3-5 (Mar-Dec) and by appt. Closed Jan-Feb. Free
This c. 1820 house, now restored, served briefly as a headquarters for Gen Sherman's army during the Civil War.
Mt. Pleasant/Isle of Palms Visitor Center
843-853-8000. 291 Johnnie Dodds Blvd. Hwy 17 N, 29464.
Battle of Secessionville Reenactment
843-762-2430. 1235 Long Point Rd, 29465.
November 9-10, 2002
Confederate and Union Arm encampments, military drills, a horse brigade and a church service are among activities at this annual reenactment at Boone Hall Pantation.
Boone Hall Plantation
843-884-4371; 1235 Long Point Rd, 29464. Open M-Sat 9-5, Sun 1-5. $
Established in 1681 by Major John Boone, one of the original settlers of South Carolina. Boone Hall began as a rice plantation and was converted into a prosperous cotton plantation in the 1800s. Thomas A. Stone, Canadian ambassador to the Netherlands, built the present manor house in 1935. Adding to Boone Hall's beauty is its famous avenue of oaks - a three-quarter-mile drive lined with massive, Spanish moss-draped live oaks. The first of these oaks was planted in 1743 by Capt. Thomas Boone who is believed to be buried beside the avenue, his grave indicated by an unmarked vault. Bordering the avenue of oaks are nine original slave cabins, which housed servants and skilled craftsmen. This cluster of cabins, known as Slave St, is one of the few remaining intact in the Southeast and the only brick slave street in the US. Boone Hall and its grounds were prominently featured in the TV mini-series production of John Jakes' North and South Civil War epic and Alex Haley's Queen, among others.
Pratt Memorial Library and Webel Museum
843-726-7744. 123A & 123B Wilson St, 29936. Open M-F 10:30-5:30 (Library) W 2-5 & by appt. (museum). Free
Given by the Northern owner of an area plantation in memory of her husband, Pratt Library holds 250 rare books on the history of the Lowcountry area, Indian artifacts from Jasper County and 200 relevant portraits and maps. Webel Museum houses Indian artifacts, rice culture dioramas and historical materials on the Revolutionary and Civil Wars.
Spartanburg CO Regional Museum of History
-www.spartanarts.org/history E-mail: email@example.com
864-596-3501. 100 E Main St. Open Tu-Sat 10-5. $, W
A museum that focuses on the history of Spartanburg CO, with exhibits on Indians, Spanish explorer Juan Pardo, and wars from the Revolution through WWII. Collections include photographs, quilts, furniture and dolls that date from the 1840s-1940s. Displays cover the area's textile history, agriculture and stock car rasing.
Fort Sumter National Monument
www.nps.gov/fosu E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
843-883-3123, Fax: 843-883-3910. 1214 Middle St, 29482. Open daily, call for times. $, W
Fort Sumter memorializes one of the defining moments in America's past. The first shots of the Civil War were fired here. The preserved national monument is under management of the National Park Service. Tour boats depart for the fort from the NPS tour boat facility at Aquarium Wharf.