Davis Bridge Battlefield
c/o Davis Bidge Memorial Foundation, P.O. Box 280, 38008. 901-658-6272. Monument and informational markers are open daily. Admission is free.
After the Battle of Corinth on October 5, 1862, the retreating Confederate army under Generals Sterling Price and Earl Van Dorn met General Ord and 8,000 Union troops at Davis Bridge over the Hatchie River. An all-day battle ensued for the bridge. The Confederates managed to hold off the attacking Union forces and cross the Hatchie at Crum’s Mill, farther south.
Chattanooga National Cemetery
Chickamagua & Chattanooga National Miliary Park - National Park Service
1200 Bailey Ave., 37404. 423-855-6590. Open daily. Admission is free.
Chattanooga National Cemetery was established in December 1863 by an order from General George Thomas to provide a proper burial for Union soldiers killed in battles around Chattanooga. Eight Andrews’ Raiders are buried in the cemetery, four of whom were the first to receive the Medal of Honor. In April, 1862 these men were among the 22 Union volunteers who hijacked the locomotive "General" as part of an attempt to disrupt Confederate supply lines in Georgia.
Chattanooga Regional History Museum
Chickamagua & Chattanooga National Miliary Park - National Park Service
400 Chestnut St., Chattanooga, 37402. 423-265-3247. Open daily. Admission is charged.
The Chattanooga Regional History Museum has an extensive Civil War collection, including a mountain howitzer; Grant’s headquarters' chair; dozens of muskets, rifles, swords, knives, pistols, and projectiles; various accoutrements; uniforms; original photographs taken by R.M. Linn and George N. Bernard; diaries and letters.
Tennessee Civil War Museum
CLOSED- 3914 St. Elmo Ave., Chattanooga, 37409. 423-821-4954. Open Tues-Sun. Admission is charged.
The museum interprets the western theater of the Civil War in and around the Tennessee Valley. It focuses on the common soldier and civilian with special exhibits and multimedia presentations on infantry, cavalry, artillery, specialty troops (medical, signal corps, etc.), African-American troops, and the role of women in the war. A film provides an overview of the Civil War, and visitors can use the interactive Civil War Explorer to pursue specific interests or search for an ancestor who fought in the war. A living history demonstration takes place on the hour.
The Athenaeum Rectory
808 Athenaeum St., , 38401. 931-381-4822. Open Feb.-Dec. Admission is charged.
The rectory was the home of the Rev. Franklin Smith, president of the Columbia Athenaeum, a school renowned for its progressive 19th century curriculum. Smith outfitted a company of Confederate soldiers, the Maury Rifles. He also designed and built a submarine for the Confederacy. The rectory was headquarters for Generals Negley and Schofield, and General Forrest was also a frequent visitor.
Clarksville/Montgomery County Museum
Fort Donelson National Battlefield - National Park Service ; Fort Donelson Battle Summary - NPS
200 Second St., , 931-648-5780.
County history exhibits are featured, including Civil War diaries, photos, weapons, flags, currency and a USCT regimental roll. Open Tues.-Sun. Admission is charged\
Fort Defiance/Fort Bruce
P.O. Box 383, Clarksville, 37041-0383, Comer of A Street and Pine Street, 931-648-5780. Open daily. Admission is free.
After the fall of Fort Donelson, Fort Defiance was burned and abandoned prior to the capture of Clarksville. The recapture of the city by Confederate soldiers and local citizens in August 1862 renewed interest in the fort. It was captured again by Union forces, and the fort was commanded for the remainder of the war by Colonel Sander D. Bruce, for whom it was renamed.
Cumberland County Driving Tour
Cumberland County Courthouse, 38555. 615-484-6165.
The audio tour tape "Civil War Trails Across Cumberland County," is available in the office of the county executive.
Fort Donelson National Battlefield
Fort Donelson National Battlefield - National Park Service ; Fort Donelson Battle Summary - NPS
P.O. Box 434, 174 National Cemetery Drive, 37058. 931-232-5706.
Built by the Confederates to control the Cumberland River, the fort was captured in February 1862 by the Union Army under the command of General Ulysses S. Grant. The victory secured Union control of the Cumberland River and caused the evacuation o Clarksville, Nashville and most of Middle Tennessee. The earthen fort, river batteries, outer earthwork, Dover Hotel and National Cemetery are accessible by a 6-mile self-guided auto tour. Tour begins at the visitor center, which includes a museum. Open daily. Admission is free.
The Dover Hotel
P.O. Box 434, Dover, TN, 37058. 931-232-5706. Open June-Sept., daily. Ffree.
Here was the scene of Confederate General Simon Bolivar Buckner’s surrender to General Grant. The house is the only original surrender structure remaining from the Civil War.
Mailing address: Land Between the Lakes, 100 Van Morgan Dr., Golden Pond, KY 42211-9001.
Physical location: 13 miles north of Dover, TN, on the Trace in Land Between the Lakes, 502-924-2054. Open to Public: Mar: Wed-Sat 9am-5pm, Sun 10am-5pm; Apr-Oct: Mon-Sat 9am-5pm, Sun 10am-5pm; Nov: Wed-Sat 9am-5pm, Sun 10am-5pm.
Homeplace 1850 is a living history, open-air museum that re-creates life on a mid-19th century Tennessee farm. Authentically furnished houses and barns, along with demonstrations of daily chores, bring to life a typical Civil War soldier’s boyhood. In the Civil War, the Cumberland and Tennessee rivers were a gateway to Nashville and the all-important railroads that fed the Confederacy its troops and supplies. Homeplace 1850 considers the impact the war had on the yeoman farmers of Tennessee.
Nathan Bedford Forrest State Park
Battle of Jackson-Summary; Nathan Bedford Forrest State Park
1825 Pilot Knob Rd., 38333. 901-584-6356. Park open daily 24 hours; museum: Apr-Nov. Admission is free.
The park was named for General N. B. Forrest, the intrepid Confederate cavalry leader who on November 4, 1864, attacked and destroyed the Federal supply and munitions depot at (old) Johnsonville at the mouth of Trace Creek. His operations were concentrated along the river near the park and the town of Eva. The park features a monument to General Forrest and a map delineating the action at Johnsonville.
Farragut Folklife Museum
11408 Municipal Center Drive, , 37922. 865-966-7057. Open Mon.-Fri. 2-4 pm. Admission charge.
This small museum contains an impressive collection of artifacts of Admiral David Glasgow Farragut, one of the nation’s leading Civil War admirals, who was born a few miles from the site.
The Carter House
Battle Summary-Battle of Franklin - NPS
1140 Columbia Ave., 37065. 615-791-1861. Open daily. Admission is charged.
A National Historic Landmark, this home was at the center of the ferocious Battle of Franklin, during which it was used as a Federal command post. Although the engagement lasted only 5 hours, more generals died in this battle than any other, and more Confederate soldiers were killed than in Pickett’s Charge. Tour includes a museum, video presentation and guided tour of the house and grounds.
1345 Carnton Lane, Franklin, 37064. 615-794-0903. Open daily. Admission to the house is charged; the cemetery is free
This antebellum plantation was built by Randal McGavock, a former mayor of Nashville. On November 30, 1864, Confederate troops moved through the grounds to engage well entrenched Federal troops in the Battle of Franklin. Wounded soldiers were taken to Carnton, which served as a hospital and furnished an impromptu burial ground. In 1866, two acres were given by the McGavocks to be used as a Confederate cemetery. The McGavock Confederate Cemetery is a National Historic Landmark and the largest private Confederate cemetery in the nation. A booklet about the cemetery is available by writing 611 W. Main St., Genealogy Dept., Franklin, TN 37064. .
P.O. Box 305, Franklin, 37065. 615-791-3217. Open daily. Admission is free. Tours arranged through the Carter House, 615-791-1861.
In February, 1863, General Rosecrans, in command of the Federal troops in middle Tennessee, ordered Major General Gordon Granger to fortify Franklin. During Hood’s attack on November 30, 1864, artillery fire from this fort slammed into the Confederate right flank. The fort was abandoned when the Federals retreated toward Nashville during the night, but was.41 reoccupied two weeks later as Hood’s defeated army withdrew from Tennessee.
Lotz House: War Between the States and Old West Museum
1111 Columbia Ave., Franklin, 37064. 615-791-6533. Open daily. Admission is charged.
Built in 1858 by German woodworker Albert Lotz, the house retains much of his handiwork. The home is located near the Carter House, and the Lotz family hid there with the Carters during the Battle of Franklin. The museum features rare Confederate and Union artifacts along with Old West and Native American items.
Mailing address: 4439 Peytonsville Rd., Franklin, 37064. 615-791-6533.
General Hood’s troops formed on Winstead Hill before their great charge at the Battle of Franklin. A memorial to the Army of Tennessee stands on the hill today. The overlook features a large military map and memorials to the Confederate generals who died in this battle.
Sumner County Museum
183 W. Main St., 37066. 615-451-3738. Open Apr. 1-Nov. 1, Wed-Sat, 9am-4:30pm, Sun 1- 4:30pm. Admission is charged
Museum features over 250,000 artifacts, including exhibits about local Civil War actions.
Andrew Johnson National Historic Site
Andrew Johnson National Historic Site - NPS
P.O. Box 1088 (location College and Depot St.), 37744. 423-638-3551 or 423-639-3711. Open daily. Admission is charged for the home tour only
Site marks the home of the 17th president. Site contains a visitors center, Johnson’s tailor shop, two homes of the former president (one furnished with Johnson memorabilia) and the National Cemetery. .
114 W. Church St., Greeneville, 37745. 423-787-7746. Open Mon.-Sat. Sunday tours by appointment. Admission is charged.
This home, called the "Showplace of East Tennessee," was headquarters for Union and Confederate armies. It was in this house that General John Hunt Morgan, the "Rebel Raider," spent his last night before he was killed in the garden on September 4, 1864. The room in which he slept has the original furnishings that were there when Morgan occupied the room.
The Abraham Lincoln Museum
Cumberland Gap National Historic Park - NPS
Lincoln Memorial University, 37752. 423-869-6235. Open daily. Admission is charged.
The life and times of the 16th president are recounted at this museum. Located three miles south of Cumberland Gap National Historical Park, the museum houses one of the nation’s largest Lincoln collections.
Battle of Hartsville Driving Tour
Battle of Hartsville - Summary
c/o Battle of Hartsville Preservation, 121 McMurry Blvd., 37074. 615-374-9243. Open daily
Called "the most successfully executed cavalry raid of the War Between the States," it was from this battle that Col. John Hunt Morgan received his commission to brigadier general. Driving tour includes buildings used as hospitals, sites where Morgan rushed 1,834 prisoners after the 75-minute battle, river crossings, rendezvous points, homes and a cemetery.
Fort Pillow State Historic Site
Fort Pillow Battle Summary ; Fort Pillow State Historic Site - State Park
838 Park Rd., 38041. 901-738-5581. Open daily; visitor center open Mon.-Fri. Admission is free.
Federal forces captured this important Confederate river fort in 1862. On April 12, 1864, Confederate General Forrest attacked the fort and demanded immediate surrender of the garrison, but was refused. The fort was then stormed and captured. Due to high Union casualties and the presence of black troops, controversy surrounding this battle still exists today.
Salem Cemetery Battlefield
35 Cotton Grove Rd, 38301. 901-424-1279. Open during daylight hours. Admission is free.
Self-guided tour with brochures available at the cemetery’s main gate. The site has two large monuments, flag pole and battle map inlay showing the layout of the battle. A state historical marker identifies the site. A battle occurred nearby on December 19, 1862, between General Forrest’s cavalry and Union troops. Approximately 1,000 men were engaged in the two-hour battle. Open during daylight hours. Admission is free. Riverside Cemetery – Riverside Drive, Jackson 38301. 901-425-8580. Established in 1830, the cemetery contains the graves of 140 unknown Confederate soldiers. Brochures for a self-guided tour are available at the gate.
Tipton-Haynes Historic Site
P.O. Box 225, 2620 South Roan St., 37605. 423-926-3631. Open Mon.-Fri., Nov. 1-March 31, daily April 1-Oct. 31. Admission is charged.
Home of Landon Carter Haynes from 1839 until the Civil War. He was an attorney, newspaper editor and Confederate senator. There are 10 original and restored buildings, dating from 1783-1870, gardens, cave, and nature area.
Historic Jonesborough Visitors Center
117 Boone St., 37659. 423-753-1012. Open daily.
A guided walking or buggy ride through Jonesborough points out sites that were headquarters, hospitals, prisons, cemeteries and homes of noted persons related to the Civil War. Tour begins at the visitors center. There is a charge for the guided tour and reservations can be made. A self-guided county tour map includes homes which served as hospitals and headquarters, encampment and skirmish sites, and the route of the East Tennessee and Virginia Railroad.
Fort Sanders Battle Summary - National Park Service
1917 Bethel Ave., Knoxville, 37915. 865-522-8661.
The cemetery was established during the Confederate occupation of Knoxville, 1861-1863. More than1,600 Confederates are interred in the landscaped gardens. Call for hours.
Confederate Memorial Hall (Bleak House)
3148 Kingston Pike, Knoxville, 37919. 865-522-7263. Open Tues.-Fri. afternoons, other times by appointment. Admission is charged.
Bleak House is a Victorian mansion built in 1858 by prominent Knoxvillian Robert H. Armstrong, using slave labor to mold the bricks on-site. During the siege of Knoxville in November and December 1863, the home served as headquarters for Confederate Generals James Longstreet and Lafayette McLaws. Three sharpshooters using the house’s tower were killed here by Federal cannon fire, and a period sketch of their likenesses remains on the wall of the tower. Two cannonballs are still embedded in the walls.
P.O. Box 15012, Knoxville, 37901. 800-727-8045 or 865-523-7263, . Open daily. Admission is free
Begun in November, 1863, Fort Dickerson was one of 16 earthen forts and battery emplacements built by the Federal army to protect Knoxville during the Civil War. The position was attacked by Confederate cavalry under Gen. Joseph Wheeler on November 15, 1863, but the assault was cancelled because of the formidable terrain, artillery, and unexpected strong force guarding the approaches to Knoxville.
Knoxville Driving Tour-Siege of Knoxville and Battle of Fort Sanders
Fort Sanders - Battle Summary - NPS
810 Clinch Ave., 37901. 865-691-9584.
Tour features sites relating to the November, 1863, attempt by Confederate General James Longstreet to capture Knoxville and the army of Union General Ambrose E. Burnside. Some of the sites include: Longstreet’s headquarters, Fort Dickerson, cemeteries, hospitals, site of mortal wounding of Union Gen. William P. Sanders, and the site of the unsuccessful Confederate attack on Fort Sanders. Brochures by the Knoxville Civil War Roundtable are available at the Knoxville Visitors Center, 810 Clinch Ave.
1711 Dandridge Avenue, Knoxville, 37915. 865-522-8661. Open daily. Admission is charged.
This antebellum home was alternately occupied by Union and Confederate forces. In 1861, Confederate General Felix Zollicoffer set up headquarters in the house, and later, during the Union occupation, the grounds were fortified. Thousands of artifacts, including Mrs. Mabry’s sketch of the trenches surrounding the house, create a personal picture of family life during the war years.
Museum of East Tennessee History
600 Market St. 865-544-4262. Open Tues.-Sun. Admission is free.
The museum interprets and preserves the history of the East Tennessee region. A section of "The East Tennesseans" exhibit is dedicated to the Civil War, with uniforms, weaponry, flags, and photographs.
Old Gray Cemetery
P.O. Box 806, Knoxville, 37917 (located at 543 N. Broadway). 423-522-1424. Open daily. Admission is free.
This 13-acre Victorian cemetery reflects the divided sympathies of east Tennesseans with gravestones and sculptured monuments honoring both the Unionists and Confederates. Many notable Knoxvillians are buried here, including Tennessee’s Reconstruction governor William G. "Parson" Brownlow, Confederate Colonel Henry M. Ashby and General William R. Caswell.
Veteran’s National Cemetery
939 Tyson Street, Knoxville, 37917 (next to Old Gray Cemetery). Open daily.
Established immediately after the siege of Knoxville, this cemetery contains Federal casualties from the Battle of Fort Sanders and members of 1st Heavy Artillery, USCT.
Town of LaGrange
P.O. Box 621, 38046. 901-878-1246. Admission free.
LaGrange was occupied by Federal troops from 1862 until the Civil War ended. In 1863, Grierson’s Raid—a daring raid through Mississippi carried out by U.S. cavalry under the command of Col. Benjamin H. Grierson—originated here. Immanuel Episcopal Church was a hospital. See the birthplace of Lucy Holcombe Pickens, the "Queen of the Confederacy," and many antebellum homes. Open daily during daylight hours. Pick up driving tour brochure at Cogbill’s Store and Museum, 901-878-1235 or city hall, 901-878-1246. Cogbill’s Store and Museum is open Thurs-Sun except in winter, when it is open only on Sun 1-5pm; call ahead for schedule.
Battles for Chattanooga Museum
Battle Summary of Chattanooga - NPS
1110 E. Brow Rd., Lookout Mountain, 37350. 423-821-2812. Open daily. Admission is charged.
Experience the battles for Chattanooga through the sights and sounds of a three-dimensional, 480 sq. ft. electronic battle map. More than 5,000 miniature soldiers and dramatic sound effects show troop movements during the 1863 battles.
Chickamauga & Chattanooga National Military Park
Chickamagua & Chattanooga National Miliary Park - National Park Service
Point Park Visitor Center, Lookout Mountain, 37350. 423-821-7786. The battlefield is open daily. The historic Craven’s House is open in the summer. $
Site where the Battles for Chattanooga were fought in October and November 1863, including Lookout Mountain, Orchard Knob, Missionary Ridge, Signal Point and Wauhatchie. The battles resulted in a Northern victory and opened the way for the invasion of Georgia in 1864. Point Park provides an observatory for orientation to the battles, and a large historic painting of the attack on Lookout Mountain is located in the visitor center.
Loudon County Museum/Carmichael Inn
501 Poplar St., 37774. 865-458-1442 or 865-458 9020. Open daily. Admission is free.
Museum includes Civil War exhibits showcased in the Carmichael Inn, a circa 1810 two-story log cabin used as a stagecoach inn. A self-guided tour of downtown Loudon and the county tells of the town’s early years and Civil War history.
Britton Lane Battlefield
4707 Steam Mill Ferry Rd., 38356. 901-935-2209. Open daily. Admission is free.
These quiet woods and fields were the scene of a mighty conflict on Sept. 1, 1862, when Federal and Confederate troops clashed. During the four-hour battle, Confederates made furious charges across open cornfields to attack the Federal troops who were entrenched behind in a grove of trees on a hill. The battle resulted in the capture of 213 prisoners. Monuments mark the site along with a mass grave of Confederates. A restored Civil War-era cabin, used as a hospital during the battle, is open. After the battle, 87 prisoners were imprisoned in the Denmark Presbyterian Church, located near the battlefield. The structure still contains graffiti left by the Federal prisoners.
P.O. Box 241813, 38124. 901-576-4500 (ask for county historian). Open daily 24 hours. Admission Free
This park in downtown Memphis is the site where Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest is buried. The park features a large, bronze equestrian statue of the general that was erected in 1905, as well as the granite monument that serves as the grave marker for the general and his wife, Mary Montgomery Forrest. After the Civil War, General Sherman said of Forrest, "He was the most remarkable man our Civil War produced on either side." General Lee, when asked to identify the greatest soldier under his command, said, "a man I have never seen, ... Forrest." The monument is located 2 blocks from the scene of Forrest’s death in 1877.
Historic Elmwood Cemetery
824 S. Dudley St., Memphis, TN 38104. 901-774-3212.
Established in 1852, Elmwood is the oldest active cemetery in Memphis. Remains of 14 Confederate generals and 2 Union generals are interred here, along with those of 1,100 soldiers who fell in different battles.
533 Beale St., 38103. 901-344-3166. Closed on Tues.-Wed., Labor Day-March 1. $
Built between 1828-1832, the home was host to many well known Tennesseans such as President Andrew Jackson, Jefferson Davis and General Forrest. Confederate General Leonidas Polk planned the Battle of Corinth in the home. General U.S. Grant later used the home as his headquarters and planned the Vicksburg campaign in the library. The home also served as a Union hospital. After the war, one of the first schools for freed slaves was built on the property by the Freedman’s Bureau. A large family archive contains many Civil War related papers and books, and the home has many rare antique furnishings. Open daily, spring and summer.
Mississippi River Museum at Mud Island
125 N. Front St., 38103-1713. 901-576-7232. Open Tues.-Sun. April 6-May 24; daily May 25-Sept. 2; Tues.-Sun. Sept. 3-Oct. 31. $
The museum features five galleries dedicated to the significant role of the river in the Civil War. A life-sized replica of an ironclad gunboat is featured complete with audio visual program. An outdoor five-block long replica of the lower Mississippi River allows visitors to trace significant battles.
Memphis National Cemetery
3568 Towers Ave., 38122. 901-386-8311. Open Mon.-Fri. Admission is free.
Drive or walk around the grave sites of veterans while learning local history dating back to the Civil War. Of the 13,965 soldiers buried at this site, 8,866 are unknown. Other burials include those from the USS Sultana, which sank in April, 1865 and ranks as one of the nation’s deadliest maritime disasters with 1,700 soldiers and crew lost. Guides are provided upon request.
Memphis Pink Palace Museum
Battle of Memphis - Summary (1) and (2)
3050 Central Ave., Memphis, 38111. 901-320-6320. Open to Public: Memorial Day-Labor Day: Mon-Wed 9am-5pm, Thurs 9am-9pm, Fri, Sat 9am-10pm, Sun noon-5pm. Day after Labor Day-day before Memorial Day: Mon-Wed 9am-4pm, Thurs 9am-4pm, Fri, Sat 9am-9pm, Sun noon-5pm. Admission: Adults $5.50, children $4. Call for group rates.
The Civil War exhibit displays artifacts, documents, and photographs of civilian Memphis; arms and equipment; and currency. It provides material on the war around Memphis, the battle of Memphis, Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest, and Confederate veterans. A diorama depicting an artillery crew serving an ordnance rifle is the centerpiece of the exhibit. The Civil War exhibit is part of a larger museum.
Oaklands Historic House Museum
900 N. Maney Ave., 37130. 615-893-0022. Open Tues.-Sun. Admission is charged.
Oaklands was one of the largest plantations in Rutherford County during the Civil War era. It was the home of one of the county’s wealthiest families, the Maney family. Oaklands was host to Jefferson Davis on December 13, 1862. The site was used by the Union army in June 1862 as a camp. On July 13, 1862, Confederate General Forrest and his cavalry captured Murfreesboro. The surrender was negotiated at Oaklands.
Stones River National Battlefield
Stones River Battlefield - NPS ; Battle of Murfreesboro - Summary - NPS ; Battle of Stones River - Summary
3501 Old Nashville Highway, Murfreesboro, 37129. 615-893-9501.
A fierce battle took place here between December 31, 1862 and January 2, 1863. More than 81,000 soldiers grappled in the fields and cedar glades along Stone’s River, and 23,000 became casualties in one of the bloodiest battles fought in the western theater. Bragg’s Confederates withdrew after the battle, allowing Rosecrans and the Union Army to control Middle Tennessee. The battle set the stage for the Union advance to Chattanooga. Open daily. Admission is free. With the battlefield left in the hands of the Federal army, engineers constructed Fortress Rosecrans, a large earthen supply depot and one of the most extensive field fortifications in Tennessee. Stone’s River has been ranked among the most endangered battlefield sites in the nation.
Battle of Nashville Driving Tour
Battle of Nashville - Summary
c/o Metropolitan Historical Commission, 209 10th Ave., Suite 414, Nashville, 37203. 615-862-7970.
The Battle of Nashville was one of the final large-scale engagements of the Civil War. Fought on December 15-16, 1864, the Confederacy’s last offensive action finished the Army of Tennessee as an effective fighting force. The driving tour includes the main points of the Union defenses of Nashville and the Confederate lines of battle. Brochures are available at the Nashville Chamber of Commerce and the Metro Historical Commission, Mon-Fri. and the Nashville Visitors Center, daily. There is no charge.
Battle of Nashville Monument
Battle of Nashville-Summary
Granny White Pike & Battlefield Dr., Nashville, 615-532-1550.
The 1926 statue by Giuseppe Moretti has recently been restored and rededicated on a small tract of the battlefield where the clash of December 15-16, 1864, took place. Nearby, Confederate forces under General Hood reached their furthest advance in their failed attempt to retake Nashville. Somewhat unusual in that it was designed to memorialize both Union and Confederate soldiers, this was also a peace monument to honor the Americans who fought and died in World War I.
Battle of Nashville-Summary
1900 Belmont Blvd., Nashville, 37212. 615-386-4459. Open June-Aug., daily, Sept.-May, Tues.-Sat. Admission is charged.
This elegant house was built by Joseph and Adelicia Acklen in 1853 and enlarged in 1859-60. During the Civil War, it served as headquarters for Union General David Stanley and, later, for General Thomas J. Wood, commander of the 4th Army Corps. At Belmont, Wood gave orders to all division commanders for the first day of the Battle of Nashville.
Belle Meade Plantation
5025 Harding Road, Nashville, 37205. 615-356-0501. Open daily. Admission is charged.
Battle of Nashville bullets scar the massive front porch columns of Belle Meade, which served as Confederate General James R. Chalmers’s headquarters during the battle. Today the 1850s mansion has been elegantly restored to recall the days when the "Queen of Tennessee Plantations" was world-renowned as a 5,400 acre thoroughbred farm and nursery. Guided tours are given by authentically costumed interpreters.
Historic Travelers Rest
636 Farrell Parkway, Nashville, 37220, 615-832-8197. Open Tues.-Sat. Admission is charged.
This house is one of the city’s oldest residences, built in 1799 by Judge John Overton. During the Civil War, Union troops camped on the grounds during the Federal occupation of Nashville. For two weeks prior to the Battle of Nashville, the home was headquarters of Confederate commander General John Bell Hood. Riding from Murfreesboro to confer with Hood, General Forrest spent the night on December 11, 1864. During the second day of the Battle of Nashville, Dec. 16, 1864, U.S. Colored Infantry charged the Confederate right flank on Peach Orchard Hill, located on the Overton property and within sight of the house.
Mount Olivet Cemetery
1101 Lebanon Rd., Nashville, 37210. 615-255-4193. Open daily. Admission is free.
This cemetery is the final resting place of nearly 1,500 Confederate soldiers. The Confederate Circle Monument marks the remains of individuals of all ranks. Mount Olivet is also the burial place for seven generals, including Benjamin F. Cheatham and William B. Bate. There is an annual tour of the cemetery with living history; call for schedule.
Tennessee State Capitol
6th and Charlotte. Tennessee State Museum – 5th and Deaderick Streets, 37243-1120, 615-741-2692. State Capitol is open to visitors Mon.-Fri.; State Museum is open Tues.-Sun. Admission to both sites is free.
The Capitol was completed in 1859. Nashville became an occupied city in 1862 and remained so for the rest of the war. Named Fort Johnson for Tennessee’s military governor, the fortifications around the capitol consisted of anearthwork connected by a stockade with loopholes. The State Museum includes a large Civil War section with descriptions and artifacts from each major battle in Tennessee, audio-visual presentations, firearms, uniforms, paintings and photographs of soldiers and a large collection of battle flags.
Johnsonville State Historic Area
Battle Summary ; Johnsonville State Historic Area - State Park
Route 1, Box 37-4, , 37134. 931-535-2789. Open daily. Admission is free.
On November 4, 1864, at Johnsonville, General Forrest’s cavalry took up artillery positions on the west bank of the Tennessee River. The Confederates destroyed the Federal depot on the east bank at Johnsonville. Two large forts in the park are open to visitors.
Parker’s Crossroads Battlefield
Battle Summary - Parkers Crossroads - NPS
97 Battleground Dr., , 38388 (location at exit 108, I-40 and Highway 22) 901-968-5533. Open daily. Admission is free.
The battle was fought on Dec. 31, 1862. Union forces sought to capture.18 Confederate troops on their return from their first West Tennessee raid. When Confederate General Forrest found himself caught between two Union forces, he ordered his troops to "charge both ways" and made a successful escape. Seven marked sites can be visited (with the help of an audio cassette) on a self-guided driving tour.
Sam Davis Trail
100 South Second St., 38478-3219. 615-363-3789.
Self-guided tour provides cassettes and brochure to follow stops at sites related to Sam Davis, Boy Hero of the Confederacy, who was captured by the Union army and executed as a spy. Sites include a monument, museum, cemetery and statue on the town square. Brochures available at the chamber of commerce Mon-Fri. There is no charge for the tour.
Tennessee River Museum
507 Main St., . 901-925-2363 or 1-800-552-3866.
The Tennessee River was the invasion route for the Union armies in the West .Exhibits at the museum include: "The War on the River" which begins with a one-half scale model of the bow of the USS Cairo. The exhibit also contains many artifacts from this ill-fated ironclad and other gunboats. The "Army" exhibit features a collection of Shiloh field artillery, firearms and personal items. The "Johnsonville" exhibit features the story and equipage of Forrest’s cavalrymen. Open daily. Admission is charged.
Shiloh National Military Park
Shiloh National Military Park - National Park Service; Battle of Shiloh - Summary- NPS
1055 Pittsburg Landing Rd., , 38376, 901-689-5275.
Shiloh was one of the Civil War’s major battles, where Union and Confederate casualties totaled 23,746. General Albert Sidney Johnston’s Army of the Mississippi, marching north from Corinth, attacked and partially overran Grant’s Federal Army of the Tennessee at this site. Shiloh was the first large-scale battle of the Civil War. Open daily. Admission is charged.
Spring Hill Battlefield
Battle of Spring Hill-Summary
5700 Main St., 37174. 1-800-381-1865. Open daily. Admission is charged.
On Nov. 29, 1864, at Spring Hill, General Hood lost his best chance to capture Schofield’s army, and the incident became one of the most controversial events of the war. Two historic homes associated with the battle, Oaklawn and Rippavilla, are available for tours.The owner of Rippavilla, Confederate Major Nathaniel Cheairs, carried the white flag of surrender to Grant at Fort Donelson and, on November 30, 1864, welcomed Hood and his ranking officers to breakfast. It was here that Hood angrily accused his staff of letting the entire Federal army escape to Franklin. Self-driving tour maps are available at Rippavilla.
Tennessee Antebellum Trail
5700 Main St., Spring Hill, 37174. 800-381-1865.
This is a 90-mile, self-driving loop tour featuring more than 55 Civil War sites, battlefields, antebellum homes, and plantations. The route traces Gen. John Bell Hood’s Nashville campaign from Spring Hill through Franklin, and north to Nashville. Nine historic homes are open to the public along the Trail, each of which played an important role in the campaign. The homes include Belle Meade Plantation, Belmont Mansion, Travellers Rest, Carter House, Carnton Plantation, Rippavilla Plantation, The Athenaeum, Polk Home, and Rattle and Snap. Other significant sites include McGavock Confederate Cemetery, Winstead Hill, and Spring Hill Battlefield. The trail is open daily. The nine historic homes have varying fees and hours but are generally open Mon-Sat 10am-5pm and Sun 1-5pm.
Sam Davis Home
1399 Sam Davis Road, 37167. 615-459-2341. Open daily. Admission is charged.
Family home and farm of the Boy Hero of the Confederacy. The site interprets upper middle class life in the antebellum era and tells the story of Sam Davis, who was captured by the Union Army and executed as a spy at the age of 21.
Tullahoma Campaign Driving Tour
Tennessee Backroads Heritage Association, 300 S. Jackson, , 37388. 1-800-799-6131 or 931-454-9446. Open mid-March through mid-December. Admission is charged.
Driving tour of important scenes of the Tullahoma Campaign—the setting for several fierce engagements. From battles to encampments to guerrilla-style encounters, the campaign followed the Battle of Stones River and led to Chattanooga. Franklin County Old Jail Museum – 400 Dinah Shore Blvd., Winchester, 615- 967-0524. Six rooms of artifacts, documents, photographs and displays recapture the history of Franklin County, including the effect of the Civil War on the area.
Tennessee Civil War Railroad Driving Tour
Waverly Chamber of Commerce, 124 East Main Street or P.O. Box 733, 37185. 931-296-4865.
A brochure is available that features the history of three counties along the 78 miles of Civil War rail line. Former slaves were impressed by Federals to complete construction of the Nashville & Northwestern Railroad from the capital city to Johnsonville on the Tennessee River. This railway provided a valuable supply line for Union armies in the western theater of war. The laborers who worked on the line were inducted into the 12th and 13th US Colored Infantry Regiments, among the first black military units organized during the war