Texas Historical Commission
The Handbook of Texas Online
Texas in the Civil War
Confederate Soldiers Museum
George W. Littlefield Southern History Collection, The Center for American History.
The Littlefield Rare Book and Pamphlet Collection
An extensive collection of unique, rare, or scarce books, pamphlets, song sheets, broadsides, and periodicals relating to the history of the South, purchased by the Littlefield Fund since 1914. Special subject strengths include slavery and the antislavery movement, the Confederacy, and the Civil War; other topics covered in depth include religion, the cotton economy, transportation, medicine, and law.
Lorenzo De Zavala State Archives and Library Building
Texas Governor's Mansion
Texas Historical Commission
Texas State Cemetery
E 7th and Navasota Sts. Open 8-5.
The "Arlington of Texas" where monuments mark resting places of nearly 2,000 patriots, statesmen, and heroes of Texas.
Brownsville Visitor Information Center
959-546-3721, 800-626-2639. Beside US 77/83 (FM 802 exit) in north Brownsville.
Palmito Ranch Battlefield
800-626-2639. Historical Marker is 12 miles east on TX 4.
Last land engagement of the Civil War fought near Brownsville at Palmito Ranch. Confederates commanded by Col. John S. Ford, not having heard of Lee's surrender at Appomattox a month earlier. routed and captures Federal force in running encounter on May 12-13, 1865. After the battle, Confederates learned from their prisoners of the South's capitulation. Victors then became formal captives of their formal prisoners.
Nueces "Treue der Union" Monument
Near high school campus, recalls Civil War hostilities that wracked the nation. Predominantly German settlers of Comfort were openly sympathetic with the Union cause. Friction developed with Confederate forces, and some 65 men led by Fritz Tegener determined to leave the area and go to Mexico. The group was surprised and attacked by mounted Confederate soldiers on west bank of the Nueces River about 20 miles from Fort Clark. nineteen settlers were killed and nine wounded. Confederate loss were two killed and 18 wounded. The nine wounded settlers were captured and executed a few hours after the battle. A monument commemorates the Unionists killed in this tragic episode of a violent era. one of only six National Cemeteries permitted to fly the US flag at half-staff in perpetunity.
Bethel Cemetery Historical Marker
601 Christi Lane, Dallas CO.
James Parrish came to Texas from Ohio prior to 1844 as a member of the Peters Colony. He and his wife Eliza Jane (Record) moved to Dallas County about 1848. They established a home in this area on the Elm Fork of the Trinity River which became known as the Parrish neighborhood. Sometime before James Parrish's death in October 1853, he and his wife set aside land on their farm for a community cemetery. Joshua Hill was buried here in 1859, the apparent victim of smallpox. More interments occurred in the following decades, including those of James Pinson Howell (1865), John L. Howell (1866), and Malinda Pemberton Howell (ca. 1871). Also believed to be buried here are five men and a boy who were victims of a lynching in 1869; several Confederate vererans of the Civil War; and two former slaves. Although descendants estimate there were at least two hundred graves here, all but two have been lost to vandalism and development of the surrounding area. The two remaining tombstones mark the graves of one-day-old Oda Kirby (1909) and three-year-old Ervin Wickersham (1910 - 1913). The Historic Bethel Cemetery Association, formed in 1987, cares for the graveyard.
361-882-8691. 411 N. Upper Broadway. Open W 2-5, when flag is flying. $
City's oldest existing home built in 1848 of the then-popular "shellcrete" construction. Was once a Civil War hospital.
The Pearce Civil War Museum
903-875-7642. 3100 West Collin Avenue.
The Pearce Civil War Museum features first hand accounts of the American Civil War. organized around a time-line, the museum exhibits letters, diaries, journals, images, and artifacts from the era. The Pearce Collection consists of more than 14,000 original Civil War Letters, documents and artifacts.
Barton Warren Stone Historical Marker
Pioneer Cemetery, Dallas CO. north side of Dallas Convention Center on Ceremonial Drive
(1817 - 1881) Kentucky native Barton Warren Stone came to Dallas from Tennessee in 1851. He prospered at farming and the practice of law. In 1852 he helped lead a rebellion against Peters Colony agent H. O. Hedgecoxe. Though initially opposed to Texas' secession, Stone organized and commanded two Confederate Cavalry regiments during the Civil War. He later moved his family to a farm in Missouri, but returned to Dallas in 1879 to practice law. Texas Sesquicentennial 1836 - 1986
Daughters of the Confederacy Monument to Southern Women
Pioneer Cemetery, Dallas CO. North side of Dallas Convention Center on Ceremonial Drive
North Side: It was given the genius and valor of Confederate seamen to Revolutionize naval warfare over the earth. (Bottom: This Stone shall crumble into dust ere the deathless devotion of Southern Women be forgotten.
East Side: Confederate infantry drove bayonets through columns that never before reeled to the shock of battle.
South side: The Brazen lips of Southern cannon thundered an unanswered anthem to the god of battle. (Bottom: Erected by: The Daughters of the Confederacy Dallas Chapter No. 6 June 25th 1896.
West side: The Confederate sabreur kissed his blade homeward riding straight on into the mouth of hell. (see picture)
Five Mile Cemetery Historical Marker
Kiest Blvd. Dallas CO. near intersection w/Rio Grande
Established 1859 on land given to local Baptist Church (later known as Five Mile Church). Donor Abraham Bast is interred here. Among other burials are the Rev. Arthur Ledbetter (d. 1859), a church founder; area pioneers; and 2 Confederate soldiers. Cemetery has 550 graves and is still in use. 1969
Garvin Memorial Cemetery Historical Marker
3800 blk. W. NW Hwy. Dallas CO. south side of road, just past apartments
This burial ground served the pioneer families who settled in the area. Graves here date from the 1870s. The land for the cemetery was donated to the community by James G. Garvin (1830 - 1897), a former Dallas merchant, his wife Eliza, and brothers Col. William L. Crawford (1839 - 1920) and Judge M. L. Crawford (1841 - 1910), prominent attorneys of the county. Several veterans of the Civil War are interred here, including Col. Pleasant G. Swor (1834 - 1878), who led an assault against Union forces at the Battle of Corinth.
Greenwood Cemetery Historical Marker
2030 Oak Grove, Dallas CO. corner of Peace and Liberty Ave. within Greenwood Cemetery
Greenwood Cemetery was part of a Republic of Texas grant, called the John Grigsby League, given for service in the Battle of San Jacinto. W. H. Gaston, pioneer Dallas banker, acquired title to the site in 1874, after the noted local legal battle, "The Grigsby Cases," and founded Trinity Cemetery. Greenwood Cemetery Association assumed operation in 1896. Many people prominent in the histories of the city, state and nation rest here, in addition to casualties and verterans of every American military involvement since the War between the States.
John Henry Brown Historical Marker
Greenwood Cemetery, Dallas CO.
Star and Wreath John Henry Brown 1820 - 1895 Frontier Indian fighter in Somervell Expedition 1842-43. Editor, author, Texas legislator 1855-57, 1873. Prominent seccessionist. Major Confederate Army in Indian Territory, Missouri. Adjutant General in Texas. Commander Texas Third Frontier District 1863 created to protect frontier from Indian attack, renegades, deserters. Member of 1875 Texas Constitutional Convention to end Texas reconstruction era. Erected by the State of Texas 1963
Texas Women in the Civil War, A Tribute to Historical Marker
Grand Place, Fair Park, Dallas CO.
Civilian duties of 90,000 Texas men fighting for the Confederacy fell to wives back home in land of few factories and an enemy blockade that cut down on imports. Women had to run businesses and farms for their absent men who committed to the uncertain mails their letters of instruction. Yet with help of children, old men and loyal slaves, furnished Army and the Confederacy with grain, meat and cotton for home consumption and foreign exchange for guns, gunpowder, factory goods, drugs and other supplies. Ran newspapers. Loaded shells. Made gun caps. Did "man's work" of many kinds, in addition to homemaking, sewing, nursing, teaching and child care. Made medicines from herbs and plants. Grew poppies and squeezed the seed pods to supply opiates to the hospitals. Carded cotton and wool, spun and wove, then dyed the homemade cloth with bark or roots. Plaited palmetto or corn shucks to make hats. Made coffee of acorns or vegetables, tea of sage or orange leaves. On 2,000 miles of coastline and frontier, faced personal hazards from invasion or Indian raids. Elsewhere were in peril from marauders. Through the four years won admiration for their pluck, and maintained faith enough to help rebuild the defeated South.
Fort Bliss Museum
Pleasanton Rd and Sheridan Dr. Open Daily 9-4:30.
Replica of original adobe fort maintained as museum of frontier military era.
US Army post established in 1848 as a defense against hostile Indians and to assert US authority over lands acquired after the Mexican War. Headquarters for Confederate forces in Southwest during the Civil War, later refitting post for military efforts against the wily, much-feared Apache chief, Geronimo. Today a US Army Air Defense Center and combat training for allied nations.
Museum of the Noncommissioned Officer
Biggs Army Airfield, Bldg 11331, Barksdale & 5th Sts. Open M-F 9-4, Sat-Sun 12-4.
Traces history of the US NCO corps with artifacts dating from the Revolutionary War.
Fort Davis National Historic Site
From I-10 on the north, or US 90 from the South, the site can be reached by TX 17 & TX 118. Open daily 8-5. $
With the outbreak of the Civil War and Texas’s secession from the Union, the federal government evacuated Fort Davis. The fort was occupied by Confederate troops from the spring of 1861 until the summer of 1862, when Union forces again took possession. They quickly abandoned the post and Fort Davis lay deserted for the next five years. A museum open daily in reconstructed barracks, vividly interprets frontier military life.
Texas Civil War Museum
817-246-2323, fax: 817-246-3951. 760 Jim Wright Freeway N., Fort Worth Texas 76108-1222. Open Tue-Sat 9-5. $
View the largest Civil War Museum west of the Mississippi River including the commissioned movie "our Homes Our Rights - Texas in the Civil War". Shop Magnolia Mercantile which showcases specialty items from the Victorian era.
Rosenberg Library and Texas Historic Center
2310 Sealy Ave. Open Aug-May M-Sat 9-9, Sun 1-5. Closed Sun Jun-Jul.
Texas' first free public library, contains many original manuscripts and letters of Samuel May Williams, Sam Houston, Stephen F. Austin, and other prominent figures in Texas history. Rare books, artifacts, art collection.
Civil War Center of Texas
Centrally located on Beaumont Ranch in Grandview
For more information call Bert @ 817-229-8115 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
The CWCT organizes two living history events each year held the 2nd full weekend in March and the 2nd full weekend in October. The Civil War Center of Texas is not tied to a specific military group. Its purpose is to create an atmosphere where civilian living history can successfully grow. The group serves as the unifying entity in the spring and fall Civil War of Texas reenactments at the Beaumont Ranch in Grandview, Texas.
800-826-4371. FM 1488 NE approximately 2.5 miles to Wyatt Chapel Rd. Tours offered the first Sat of the month at 10, 11:30 & 1. $
Built in 1853 by Leonard Waller Groce, son of Jared Groce, who was one of the largest land owners in Texas Originally a Spanish land grant of 67,000 acres assigned to Justo Liendo, plantation's name sake. One of Texas' earliest cotton plantations, Liendo was occupied by sculptress Elisabeth Ney and her husband, Dr. Edmond Montgomery from 1873-1911. Both are NRHP. During the Civil War, Camp Groce was established at Liendo, where cavalry, artillery, and infantry were recruited. Converted to a prisoner of war camp, it housed troops captured at the battle of Galveston. From September 1 to December 1, 1865, the plantation was the camping place of Gen. George A. Custer and his command.
Texas Heritage Museum
817-582-2555. Located at Hill College, part of the Harold B. Simpson History Complex. Open M-Sat 9-4. $
Commemorating the experiences of Texans during War time; the museum houses exhibits devoted to the Civil War era, Hood's Texas Brigade and WWI & II. More than 3,000 volumes, many rare, plus maps, photographs, correspondence and dioramas of the Civil War. Also the Audie Murphy Memorial Gun Museum & Weaponry Library. Museum features historic firearms and edged weapons, historic artifacts, and historical art collection.
Site of Confederate Arms Factory Historical Marker
220 W. Main St. Dallas CO (in front of Veterans Memorial Library)
Site of Confederate Arms Factory Established by Joseph H. Sherrard, William L. Killem, Pleasant Taylor and John M. Crockett in 1862 to manufacture pistols for the State of Texas.
Confederate Reunion Grounds State Historic Site
254-562-5751. c/o Fort Parker State Park RR 3, Box 95, 76667
Samuel Bell Maxey House
903-785-5716. 812 S Church St. Open W-F by appointment, Sat-Sun 10-5. $
Gem of Victorian architecture built by Confederate General Maxey in 1868, occupied by the family for almost a century. Restored and furnished as a state historic site. The Maxeys were avid gardeners; restoration includes landscaped grounds and small Victorian garden in orginial dimensions. Sam Bell Maxey served in the Mexican War and Civil War and was a two-term U.S. Senator. In March of 1971, the Maxey House was officially listed on the National Register of Historical Places. Restoration was completed September 1, 1980, and it was opened to the public on a tour basis. Marker on the lawn of the Sam Bell Maxey Home and Museum in Paris, Texas honoring the graves of unmarked Confederate Soldiers in Lamar County, a cherished project of the late Elizabeth House.
South 15 miles on FM 3322 off TX 87. Day use only.
Laid out in 1836 by Sam Houston and Philip A. Sublett. Name changed to Sabine Pass in 1839. At one time the population numbered around 6,000 but storms in 1886, 1900 and 1915 took heavy tools. Historically significant event was the Battle of Sabine Pass during the War Between The States. City was annexed by Port Arthur in 1978.
Sabine Pass Battleground State Historical Park
South 15 miles on FM 3322 off TX 87. Day use only.
Site of astonishing Civil War battle of September 8, 1863, a Union attempt to invade Texas at Sabine Pass. Union fleet numbered some 20 vessels and 5,000 men; Confederate defense was small earthwork, six cannon and 42 man under Lts. Richard W. Dowling and N. H. Smith. Confederate fire was so devastating that three Union gunboats were crippled in 45 minutes, two captures. Federals lost 65 men killed, wounded and missing, 315 taken prisoner by Confederates who suffered no casualties. Remaining Union forces retired to New Orleans. Dominating today's park is a statue of Dick Dowling on a base of Texas pink granite. Boat ramp, fish-cleaning shelter, rest rooms, picnic facilities with water and grills. Fine view of ships entering and leaving Gulf of Mexico.