(703) 327-9777, (703) 327-6118, Fax: (703) 327-0082. 39401 John Mosby Hwy (PO Box 322), 20105. Route 50, 1 mile west of the intersection of Routes 50 and 15, 20105. Open Apr-Oct Sat 12-5, Sun 1-5, or by appt. W
Aldie Mill was built by Charles Fenton Mercer in 1807-09. It was the site of Civil War skirmishes involving Mosby's Rangers. the Aldie Mill is located in the village of Aldie at the beginning of the historic Little River Turnpike. The Mill is owned and operated by the Virginia Outdoors Foundation and survives today as Virginia's only known mill powered by twin overshot water wheels. The Mill is currently open for the public's enjoyment starting the last weekend in April through October. Saturdays from 12-5pm, Sundays from 1-5pm and by appointment during the week. This historic site also serves as an unique rental facility.
703-777-0343, Fax: 703-771-5354. 40309 John Mosby Hwy (PO Box 15, Leesburg, 20178), 20105.
Historic Civil War site. Call for appointment and tour.
Alexandria Convention And Visitors Association
www.funside.com E-mail: email@example.com
800-388-9119, 703-838-4200, Fax: 703-838-4683. 421 King St. Ste 300, 22314. W
Camp Day for the Civil War
703-838-4848. Held at Fort Ward Museum & Historic Site: 4301 W Braddock Rd, 22304. $
Fort Ward Museum and Historic Site
www.fortward.org or http://oha.ci.alexandria.va.us/fortward/
703-838-4848, Fax: 703-671-7350. 4301 W Braddock Rd, 22304. Closed Mondays.
Civil War museum and restored Union fort. Walking tour avalible.
Appomattox Visitor Center Information Center/COC
www.appomattox.com E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
434-352-2621, Fax: 434-352-2621. 5 Main St, in old train depot, (PO Box 704), 24522. W
Appomattox Court House National Historical Park
(804) 352-8987. P.O.Box 218, Appomattox, VA 24522
Relive the drama of the closing days of the Civil War. Park personnel and slide presentations brief you on the background of the park at the visitor information center, located in the courthouse building. Your visit includes such highlights as the McLean House, where the actual surrender took place, the Clover Hill Tavern, where parole passes were printed, and the surrender triangle, where the stacking of arms occurred. Period re-enactors add an element of living history to your visit. you will feel the presence of Generals Lee and Grant as you walk through the street of the restored village. Allow 1 1/2 to 2 hours for your visit.
Laurel Hill - Birthplace of Gen. J.E.B. Stuart
http://www.jebstuart.org Email: email@example.com
Phone: (276) 251-1833. 1091 Ararat Highway P. O. Box 240, Ararat, VA 24171
Confederate Major General James Ewell Brown Stuart told his brother in 1863 "I would give anything to make a pilgrimage to the old place, and when the war is over quietly spend the rest of my days there." J.E.B Stuart never returned to his birthplace and boyhood home, but thanks to a group of local citizens you today can visit the site where one of the greatest soldiers to sit upon a horse learned to ride. Laurel Hill is located in the far southwestern part of Patrick County on the dividing line between the piedmont and the mountains and within sight of the boundary line of North Carolina and Virginia. The seventy-five acre site, is open to the public for walking tours and annual events including a Revolutionary War encampment in the spring, and a Civil War encampment in the fall.
Arlington Convention and Visitor Service
www.stayarlington.com E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
800-677-6267, 703-228-3988, fax: 703-228-3667. 735 S 18th St, 22202. W
Arlington House/ R. E. Lee Memorial
(703) 557-0613. Arlington Cemetery Arlington, VA 22211. Open 9-4:30
Arlington House, located in Arlington National Cemetery, was home of the Confederate General in the years leading up to the Civil War. Here, in 1861, General Lee wrote the letter resigning his commission from the U.S. Army to fight for his native Virginia. Restored with furnishings from the period (many originally owned by the Lees), the House provides an intimate look at life before and after the Civil War. Expanded summer hours. Accessible as stop on Tourmobile's Arlington Cemetery tour. Built by George Washington Custis, grandson of Martha Washington by her first marriage to Daniel Park Custis. Robert E. Lee married Custis' daughter and lived in the house for 30 years. In 1861, he was accepted the position of General of the United States Army. After leaving for Richmond, he never returned to the house.
Arlington National Cemetery
(703) 697-5187, 703-607-8052. Arlington, VA. 22211. c/o Arlington Convention and Visitor Service, 735 S 18th St, 22202. Open 9-5. $
A shrine to the thousands of women and men who have died to keep our country free. Within walking distance of the Arlington Cemetery Metro station. Expanded hours during the summer. Free; however, fee for only motorized tour - Tourmobile. The cemetery covers 612 acres. Over 200,000 veterans and their dependents buried here represent every conflict in which the United States has fought. Memorial sites include Tomb of the Unknowns; the gravesite of John F. and Jacqueline B. Kennedy (the eternal flame); Challenger Space Shuttle Memorial; Mast of the U.S.S. Maine ("Remember the Maine!"); Confederate Memorial; and the Coast Guard Memorial Civilians notables include boxing champ Joe Louis; actor Lee Marvin; WWII's most decorated soldier Audie Murphy; ABC newscaster Frank Reynolds; and 27th president William Howard Taft.
? Women in Military Service for America Memorial
www.womensmemorial.org E-mail: email@example.com
800-222-2294, 703-892-2606, Fax: 703-892-7202. Ceremonial entrance, Arlington National Cemetery (5501 Columbia Pike Ste 302, 22204) Arlington, 22211. Open daily. W, Free.
Traces history of America's servicewoman
Ashland/Hanover Visitor Center
804-752-6766. 112 N Railroad Ave, 23005.
804-449-6140. 16152 Beaverdam School Rd, 23015.
A key to communication and transportation during the Civil War.
Bedford City/County Museum
540-586-4520. 201 E Main St, 24523. Open M-Sat 10-5. Closed holidays. W.
Exhibits showing Bedford's history from Indians, Civil War, farm life, WWII to present. Genealogy library available.
540-586-4993, office: 540-586-1814. 413 Avenel Ave, 24523.
Stately c. 1836 mansion. Rental available. Architecture, Civil War tales, ghosts!
Caroline County Office of Economic Development and Tourism
www.visitcaroline.va.us E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
804-633-4074, Fax: 804-633-2489. 104 S Main St (PO Box 447), Bowling Green, 22427
Virginia Civil War Trails - Caroline County
(804) 633-7826. PO Box 447. 104 South Main Street Bowling Green, VA 22427
Follow the trails to five sites in Caroline County; The Town of Bowling Green, Bethel Church, Carmel Church, Guinea Station and the Star Hotel. All 5 sites are associated with the North Anna Campaign, where Lee and Grant first met in battle.
(804) 829-6018. 12602 Harrision Landing Road, 23030
Expansive boxwoods and English ivy frame Berkeley Plantation on the banks of the James River between Richmond and Williamsburg. Not only is it the site of the first English-speaking Thanksgiving in America in 1619, it is also the birthplace of the nation's ninth president, William Henry Harrison and the ancestral home of the 23rd president, Benjamin Harrison. Today, the property is a working farm of more than 1,000 acres and the present owners, who live in the upstairs floors of the house, raise small grains, hay and sheep. Berkeley Plantation was used by Gen. McClellan as headquarters during his Peninsula Campaign. President Lincoln conferred with him here, and "Taps" was composed here by General Butterfield during the campaign.
Charles City County Courthouse
(804) 829-9201. Virginia Route 5, 23030
One of Virginia's important colonial courthouses built in the mid 1750s. The brickwork is very similar to old Westover Church nearby. This courthouse was the scene of considerable fighting during the Civil War and many of its colonial records were lost.
Confederate Attack on Fort Pocahontas at Wilson's Landing
804-829-5377, 800-704-5423. Fort Pocahontas at Wilson's Landing. $
Fort Pocahontas at Wilson's Wharf
www.fortpocahontas.org E-mail: email@example.com
804-829-5377. 804-829-2947. 13150 Sturgeon Point Rd (PO Box 104), 23030. Open by appt for groups and private functions. $
Well-preserved Union fort built and defended by United States Colored Troops, May 24, 1864. Re-enactment May 18-19, 2002.
North Bend Plantation
(804) 829-5176, Reservations: (800) 841-1479. 12200 Weyanoke Road, 23030
Host/Owner: Mr and Mrs George CopelandA Virginia Historic Landmark & national Register property in James River Plantation Country, Charles City VA. Rich Civil War history, built for sister of 9th president William Henry Harrison. General Sheridan headquarters here in 1864. Owner is a great great grandson of Edmund Ruffin who fired 1st shot in Civil War for the South. His teaster bed remains in the Sheridan Room. 850 acre farm remains under cultivation. Large rooms with private baths beautifully appointed with antiques original to manor and family. 3 porches, pool, ABBA excellent rating. Lawn games and bicycles. Full breakfast in dining room. Golf, shopping, tennis nearby. 1819 historic landmark 25 minutes west of Colonial Williamsburg in Virginia plantation country.
www.charlottesvilletourism.org E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
877-386-1102, 434-977-1783, Fax: 434-295-2176. located in the Monticello Visitor Center building, Rt 20 S (PO Box 178), 22902. W
(434) 972-4084. 510 East Jefferson Street (Court Square), 22901
An early national-period courthouse that has been greatly expanded over the years. The earliest portion built in 1803 stands at the rear. The builder was John Jordan of Lexington. The portico and the front portion were added in the late 1850s.
Albemarle County Historical Society
(434) 296-1492, Fax: (434) 296-4576. The McIntire Building, 200 Second Street NE, 22902. Open M-F 9-5, Sat 10-1. Free, W
Founded in 1940, the Albemarle County Historical Society seeks to study, preserve, and promote the history of Charlottesville and Albemarle County, Virginia. The Society strives to accomplish this mission through a variety of public programs, including exhibits, publications, lectures, walking tours, oral history interviews, and various educational programs. The Society's research library, the Charlottesville-Albemarle Historical Collection, contains over 2,000 books and bound periodicals, as well as photographs, manuscripts, maps, pamphlets, newspapers, and vertical files relating to the history of our community. The Society's museum collection contains over 1,500 artifacts of historical significance to Charlottesville and Albemarle County.
Saturday Morning Walking Tours
(434) 296-1492, Fax: (434) 296-4576. The McIntire Building, 200 Second Street NE, 22902
The Albemarle County Historical Society offers walking tours of historic downtown Charlottesville every Saturday at 10 a.m., April through October. Tours leave from the McIntire building, 200 Second St., NE, across from Lee Park. Strollaround the Court Square familiar to Thomas Jefferson, James Madison and James Monroe. Learn about the early years of Charlottesville, its citizens, businesses and buildings. During a one-hour tours you will see reminders of over 250 years of our community's heritage. A $3.00 donation per person is suggested; no advanced reservation is required. Childern under 12 and school groups are free of charge. Group tours may be arranged for other times. Call (434)296-1492 for further information or, in case of severe weather, to inquire about the tour schedule.
UVA Rotunda and Central Grounds
(434) 924-7969. University of Virginia, University Avenue, 22903
Designed and built by Thomas Jefferson, his "academical village" is the focal point of the University grounds. Three of Jefferson's interests come together in the University of Virginia: his vision as an educator, his talent as an architect, and his skill as a gardener. The Lawn is formed by two parallel rows of five houses, the Pavilions, connected by low colonnaded walkways and student rooms. The colonnades are joined on the north by the Rotunda, the last building designed by Thomas Jefferson. Conducted tours of the Rotunda are offered daily at 10:00 and 11:00 a.m.; 2:00, 3:00 and 4:00 p.m. Closed during Christmas break. Come take a walk through Mr. Jefferson's "academical village".
Culpeper CO COC & Visitor Center
www.culpepervachamber.com E-mail: email@example.com
888-CULPEPER, 540-825-8628, Fax: 540-825-1449. 109 S Commerce St, 22701. W
Museum of Culpeper History
(540) 829-1749 Museum, (540) 829-6434 Office, Fax: (540) 829-9698. 803S. Main Street (P.O. Box 951), 22701
The Museum houses displays from dinosaur activity. Tracks from a theropod, Aetosaur and Phytosaur, discovered and removed from the local Culpeper Stone Company Quarry, are on display. American Indian life in Culpeper is also presented through display artifacts and other items. Culpeper's rich Civil War history is also on display. A gift shop is on the premises. Special exhibits are often a part of the Museum.
Danville Area COC & Visitor Center
434-793-5422, Fax: 434-793-5424. 635 Main St (PO Box 1538), 24543.
? American Armored Foundation Tank and Ordinance War Memorial Museum
434-836-5323. Rt 29 N at city limits, 24540. $
Large impressive collection of military vehicles, artifacts and uniforms.
(804) 793-5644. 975 Main Street
For one week, April 3-10, 1865, Major William and Mrs. Sutherlin opened their home to Jefferson Davis and the Confederate government. The Confederate President delivered his final proclamation to the Confederacy on April 4. Danville has become known as the "Last Capital of the Confederacy."
Shenandoah Valley Folk Art and Heritage Center
(703) 879-2681, (540) 879-2616, Fax: (540) 879-2616. 382 High Street, (PO Box 715), 2282. $, W
The Shenandoah Valley Folk Art and Heritage Center in Dayton, Rockingham County, Virginia is home to the Harrisonburg-Rockingham Historical Society, an excellent genealogy library, a gift shop and bookstore, and an electric map depiction of General Thomas 'Stonewall' Jackson's Valley Campaign. On permanent display are two fine exhibits of local culture and history: Shenandoah Valley Folk Art is a collection of local treasures in the arts of basket making, pottery, fraktur, metal working, gunsmithing and furniture making just to name a few. "Invincible Spirit: History in the Heart of the Shenandoah" is an extensive exhibit telling the story of local history, from the Native Americans through today. This exhibit features both documents and artifacts from our collection, as well as rich photographic and illustrative content.
The museum, among other Civil War exhibits relating to the Shenandoah Valley, features Stonewall Jackson's "Valley Campaign" as explained through the narrative program of a 12-foot electronic relief map where 300 lights follow the movements of the contending armies.
North Anna Battlefield park
804-365-4695, Fax: 804-365-4696. located three miles west of US 1, north of Ashland on SR 684 (17017 Taylor Complex Ln, Ashland 23005)
Interpreted walking trail among well-preserved Confederate earthworks. Brochure available.
Shenandoah River, South Fork, Rockingham County
(540) 298-0372. 154 W. Spotswood Ave. (P.O. Box 527), 22827
The South Fork of The Shenandoah River is the principal stream which flows to the northeast where it is joined by the North Fork at Front Royal Virginia. From here, the combined streams meet the Potomac River at Harper's Ferry, West Virginia. The old meandering river of "Oh, Shenandoah" fame. Renowned for its beauty and the opportunities offered for fishing and boating. We usually think that rivers flow southward and are surprised to find these headstreams draining in a northeasterly direction. Because of this northeasterly flow you will hear people of The Shenandoah Valley refer to "South" as being "Up" the valley.The South Fork is fed by many streams which tumble down from The Blue Ridge Mountains (The Shenandoah National Park) on the east and the George Washington National Forest on the west. You will find placid, peaceful, sections.
(540) 298-9860, Terrace Ave. 22827
Picnic facilities and shelter, playground with children's play structure, tennis courts, ball fields, walking trail, rest rooms. Concession stand open during ballgames.
Civil War Weekend battlefield tours
(866) CWW-TOUR, (540) 268-4300, Fax: (540) 268-4300. 1780 Big Spring Drive (P.O. Box 624) 24087
Non-partisan and enlightened, our 2 1/2-day battlefield walking tours combine intensive study with first-person narratives, creating a vivid experience for the well-versed and novice alike. For 2002, we offer tours of the Peninsula Campaign, Petersburg-Appomattox, Fredericksburg-Chancellorsville, Wilderness-Spotsylvania, Second Manassas and Jackson's Valley Campaign. With plush lodging at historic inns, good food and a small group setting of enthusiasts, our tours will influence your perception of the Civil War long after your trip ends.
? Emory & Henry College
(276) 944-6810, Fax: (276) 944-6872. P.O. Box 947 Emory & Henry College. One-half mile of Interstate 81at Exit 26, 24327
Founded in 1836, Emory & Henry College is the oldest institution of higher education in Southwest. The college is named for John Emory, a leader in the United Methodist Church, and Patrick Henry, a renowned patriot of the American revolution and Virginia's first governor. Emory symbolizes the belief in the union of faith and learning, while Henry represents the commitment to the ideals of freedom and civic virtue. Because of its distinguished history, Emory & Henry is designated as an "historic district" on the National Register of Historic Places and the Virginia Historic Landmarks Register. The college also is a regional leader in the arts, providing throughout the academic year a wide array of art exhibits as well as musical and theater performances.
National Firearms Museum
703-267-1600. 11250 Waples Mill Rd, 22030.
Displaying more than 2000 historic firearms spanning 600 years.
Fairfax Station Railroad Museum
703-425-9225. 11200 Fairfax Station Rd, 22039. Open Sun 1-4.
Railroad, Civil War, and Clara Barton Museum.
Washington's Boyhood Home
(703) 372-4485, (540) 373-3381 ext. 28. Ferry Farm (P.O.Box 5933), 22403. Open 10-5. $
One mile east of Fredericksburg on Route 3. Ferry Farm, a National Historic Landmark, is rich in history. George Washngiton grew to manhood here, moving to the farm at age 6 in 1738, and leaving in 1752. Legend claims that the cherry tree story ("I cannot tell a lie") and his powerful toss of a "silver dollar" across the Rappahannock took place at Ferry Farm. In the Civil War, Union troops camped here during the Battle of Fredericksburg. From Ferry Farm, Union artillery bombarded the city, and the Army of the Potomac built a pontoon bridge on the site of the old ferry. "Digging for Young George" is the theme of summer 2002 programs for children and adults. Archaeologists will be excavating to find evidence of the ferry road and site, and of the Washington's plantation house and outbuildings. The children's garden is a new feature.
434-392-3939. 116 N Main St, 23901.
Farmville hosts several stops along Petersburg to Appomattox driving tour.
(757) 727-3391, Gift Shop: (757) 727-3887, Fax: (757) 727-3886. CM 20 Bernard Road (P.O. Box 51341), 23651.
Completed in 1834 and named in honor of President James Monroe, Fort Monroe is recognized as the largest stone fort ever built in the United States. Nicknamed "Freedom's Fortress," this Union-held fortification provided a safe haven for hundreds of runaway slaves during the Civil War. It was also the site where the Army of the Potomac landed before beginning the march toward Richmond during the Peninsula Campaign. Today, the installation is the headquarters of the Army's Training and Doctrine Command (TRADOC). Fort Monroe's history is interpreted for visitors in its Casemate Museum. Walking tours of the fort are available during the summer months. (See Fort Monroe-Casemate Museum and Chamberlin Hotel listings.)
Fredericksburg Area Tourism/Spotsylvania Visitor Center
800-654-4118, 540-891-TOUR. 4704 Southpoint Pkwy. 22407
Fredericksburg Visitor Center
800-678-4748, 540-373-1776. 706 Caroline St, 22401.
Battle of Fredericksburg Anniversary Program
December (December 15, 2002. 2-3pm)
800-678-4748, 540-372-3031. Held at the Richard Kirkland Monument.
The Chancellorsville Battlefield Visitor Center is located twelve miles west of Fredericksburg on Route 3, 7 miles west of I-95. Part of the Fredericksburg/Spotsylvania Military Park. Open Daily. $
April 27-May 6, 1863. Action in the battle included a spectacular military maneuver by Lee and his most trusted subordinate, "Stonewall" Jackson, but the day ended in calamity when Jackson was fatally wounded by his own troops.
540-371-0802, Fax:540-371-1907. 120 Chatham Ln. Part of the Fredericksburg/Spotsylvania Military Park. $
Eighteenth century house used as Civil War headquarters and hospital.
Civil War Life
http://civilwar-life.com Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
(540) 834-1859, Fax: (540) 834-1859. 4712 Southpoint Parkway, 22408. Open daily 10- 5. $, W
The Soldier's Museum tells the story of the soldiers who served on both sides of the War Between the States. This impressive collection of relics speaks of the soldier's life from enlistment and training camps to combat on all the famous battlefields of the war. The exhibits and life size dioramas provide a wonderful opportunity for adults and children alike to learn about this turbulent time. Visit the Home Front gift shop for a fine selection of books for serious buffs and children, hand blown glass, candles, music, jewelry, home accents and other historically relevant gifts.
George Washington's Ferry Farm
PH: (540) 373-3381 Ext. 28 FAX: (540) 371-6066. Route 3 East, Fredericksburg, VA
During the Civil War Ferry Farm was the scene of intense military activity. The ferry landing at Ferry Farm became a strategic crossing point for the Union army. In April 1862, U. S. Army Engineers built a pontoon bridge between Ferry Farm and Fredericksburg. Moving across this bridge the Union army occupied Fredericksburg until the end of May when they re-crossed the river and headed north.
Fredericksburg & Spotsylvania Military Park
120 Chatham Lane 22405
Portions of major Civil War battlefields-Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, the Wilderness, Spotsylvania Court House, and several other smaller historic sites-comprise the park. The battles occurred during 1862, 1863 and 1864. Picnic areas and trails are on site.
Fredericksburg Area Museum
www.famcc.org E-mail: email@example.com
540-371-3037, Fax: 540-373-6569. 907 Princess Anne St. (PO Box 922, 22404) Fredericksburg, 22401
History of Fredericksburg area from prehistoric to the present. Striking exhibits, beautiful objects; come witness treasures preserved to tell us of our past.
Fredericksburg Battlefield Visitor Center
540-373-6122, Fax: 540-371-1907. 1013 Lafayette Blvd. The Fredericksburg Battlefield Visitor Center is located at the base of historic Marye's Heights on the Fredericksburg battlefield. It is open daily 8:30 - 6:30 until September 2. Part of the Fredericksburg/Spotsylvania Military Park. Open daily. $.
Dec. 11-15, 1862. Called "Lee's most one-sided victory," the Battle Fredericksburg focused on Sunken Road and the Stone Wall at Marye's Heights.
Fredericksburg Civil War Weekend
800-678-4748, 540-373-1776. City Wide.
Kenmore Plantation and Gardens
(540) 373-3381. 1201 Washington Avenue, 22401.Open daily 10-5. $
Kenmore, one of the finest 18th century houses in Virginia, lies in the heart of historic Fredericksburg. The house was built by patriot Fielding Lewis (who built a gunnery during the Revolutionary War to arm the Continental Army) for his wife, Betty, the only sister of George Washington. It contains the most elaborate plasterwork to survive from colonial America. Ceilings at Kenmore were made by the same unidentified "stucco man" who worked at Mount Vernon. The house is undergoing a major restoration so the tour focuses on its construction and preservation. A new exhibit, "Built to last," is in the house. Kenmore's collection of fine Virginia-made furniture is displayed in the museum gallery.
In 1862, the area surrounding Kenmore was more open than today and had gardens and lawns extending two or three blocks in each direction. The small town of Fredericksburg was located primarily along the river. In December of 1862, a deadly drama unfolded on the grounds around Kenmore and the hills overlooking Fredericksburg and the Rappahannock River. Federal forces trying to cross the Rappahannock on their march to Richmond found the road blocked by a well-fortified Confederate army.
? Memorial Day Ceremonies in the Fredericksburg Confederate Cemetery
Rt 613, 1.5 miles northwest of Spotsylvania Court House. Spotsylvania Court House battlefield does not have a visitor center. The grounds are open from sunrise to sunset. The exhibit shelter is manned by a historian daily in the Summer and on most weekends from 10-6 from early April until late October. During the winter and weekdays in the spring and fall, the historians at the visitor centers at Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville can answer your questions. Part of the Fredericksburg & Spotsylvania Military Park
May 8-21, 1864. On the most direct route to Richmond lay the crossroads at Spotsylvania Court House, where warring troops engaged for 2 weeks including 20 hours on May 12 in the most intense hand-to-hand fighting of the war at the "Bloody Angle."
" Stonewall" Jackson Shrine
804-633-6076, Fax: 540-371-1907. 5 miles east if I-95 on Rt 606/120 Chatham Ln, 22405. Part of the Fredericksburg/Spotsylvania Military Park. Open daily during summer, 9-5, reduced days other seasons.
Building in which Jackson died.
There is an exhibit shelter located on Rt. 20, 2 miles west of Rt. 3 junction, provides a visual overview of the campaign. No visitor center. Part of the Fredericksburg/Spotsylvania Military Park.
May 5-6, 1864. This conflict introduced Union Gen. U.S. Grant to Lee in battle. Even though the battle ended in stalemate, Grant pressed southward, "On to Richmond."
Front Royal/Warren CO Tourism Department.
800-338-2576, 540-635-5788. 414 E Main St, 22630.
Warren Rifles Confederate
(703) 636-6982. 95 Chester Street, 22630. $
Exhibits include memorabilia of Belle Boyd, Mosby's Rangers, Stonewall Jackson, Robert E. Lee, Jefferson Davis and others, together with arms, uniforms and historic documents. Gift Shop.
? Goochland County Courthouse
(804) 556-5300, Fax: (804) 556-4617. 2938 River Road West, 23063
This Jeffersonian-inspired courthouse was built in 1826 by master builder, Dabney Cosby, Sr. Major and minor changes and improvements have been made to the interior of the Courthouse during the passing years, but the exterior remains unchanged. On the Courthouse Green there are other buildings which, include a stone jail (1837), a brick clerk's office (1847), and James Clopton Knibb Building (1906). Come see history in Goochland County.
Civil War Reenactment
540-832-2944. Held at the Civil War Museum at the Exchange Hotel. $
The Exchange Hotel Civil War Museum
540-832-2944. 400 S Main St, 22942. $
Exhibits portray Confederate Receiving Hospital medical practices; firearms, uniforms, antiques.
Gordonsville Presbyterian Church
877-222-8072. US 33, 22942.
Confederate Gen "Stonewall" Jackson worshipped here during his numerous visits.
Sailor's Creek Battlefield State Park
(434) 392-3435. Twin Lakes State Park, 788 Twin Lakes Road, 23942.
Sailor's Creek Battlefield Historic State Park was the site of Virginia's last major Civil War battle. Here General Robert E. Lee lost more than half his army, forcing him to surrender at Appomattox 72 hours later. Sailor's Creek Battlefield is a great place to stop for lunch as it lies approximately midway between Petersburg and Appomattox Court House. Charcoal grills and picnic tables are available at the Overton-Hillsman House and the nearby Confederate overlook. No water is available. The Overton-Hillsman House, used as a field hospital during the battle, is open to visitors June through August and by request at other times. Contact nearby Twin Lakes State Park to arrange a special tour. Period costumed interpreters commemorate the event and conduct other living history events throughout the year.
Authority Main Number: (540) 249-5729, Grand Caverns Park: (540) 249-5705, Natural Chimneys Park: (540) 350-2510, Fax: (540) 249-3108. 5 Grand Caverns Drive ( P. O. Box 478), 24441. Open 9-5. $
Incredibly, the scenic grandeur of the Shenandoah Valley is matched - even surpassed - below the surface of the earth. Grand Caverns, one of the most spectacular Virginia caverns, has offered the public a breathtaking panorama of subterranean beauty since 1806.Grand Caverns is a stately and powerful example of Nature's handiwork. Gigantic stalactites point down from above. Equally imposing stalagmites thrust upward from the caverns floor. Cathedral Hall, 280 feet long and over 70 feet high, is one of the largest rooms of any cavern in the East.Massive columns, beautiful draperies, rippling flowstone, and rare "shield" formations create a variety of fascinating sights. The famous Bridal Veil, Stonewall Jackson's Horse and a peek into Dante's Inferno provide memories too good to miss.
Gwynn's Island Museum
(804) 725-7949. Route 633, (P.O. Box 109), 23066. Open 10-5. W, Free
Located in Mathews County on historic Gwynn's Island, the Gwynn's Island Museum was established in 1991 as a community project to preserve the rich history of Gwynn's Island and Mathews County. A 100-year-old building, originally serving as the Odd Fellows Lodge and later the Island's first public school, was donated in 1992 and restored by dedicated volunteers to what you see today. Two floors of exhibit space include Gwynn's Island School memorabilia, prehistoric fossils, Indian and Colonial artifacts, antique dresses, gowns, quilts and extensive military and Merchant Marine displays from the Civil War to the present. Other displays feature Island watermen, the Roman connection to Gwynn's Island, and the Battle of Cricket Hill. Open May thru October, Fri, Sat & Sun. Call to arrange tours for 8 or more during off season.
Hampton Conventions and Tourism
800-487-8778, 757-722-1222. 2 Eaton St, Ste 106, 23669.
Hampton Visitor Center
800-800-2202, 757-727-1102. 710 Settlers Landing Rd (at Eaton St), 23669. Open daily 9-5. Call or write for your free Hampton Visitor Guide magazine.
Fort Monroe - Casemate Museum
(757) 727-3391. P.O. Box 341, 23651
This active military installation was famed during the Civil War as the "Freedom Fort" by blacks escaping from slavery. General Benjamin Butler refusing to return runaway slaves, kept them as "Contrabands" of war, assuring their freedom. Confederate President Jefferson Davis' prison cell is located in the museum.
800-800-2202, 757-727-1102. c/o Hampton Visitor Center. Open year-round to pleasure boaters.
Civil War Island Fortress. Included in Miss Hampton II and some Venture Inn II tours. See Harbor Cruises or Venture Inn Charters for more info.
(757) 722-9102, (888) 757-2628, boat:(757) 679-7781, Fax: (757) 722-9113. 764 Settlers Landing Road, 23669. Open 9-5. $
Discover the ultimate tour of the Hampton Roads Harbor aboard Virginia's Favorite Harbor Cruise, the MISS HAMPTON II. Three-hour daily cruises operate April thru Oct at 10:00 AM with addt'l daily tour at 2:00 PM Mem. Day - Labor Day. Well-narrated tours feature Norfolk Naval Base, Civil War Island Fortress (Ft. Wool), Chesapeake Bay, Old Point Comfort, Battle of the Monitor/Merrimac, site of Blackbeard's Point (where his severed head was displayed), and more! Spring and Fall ALL-DAY RIVER ADVENTURE CRUISES depart selected dates 8:30 - 4:30. Narrated tours sails thru Norfolk & Portsmouth, and down Inland Waterway beyond Great Bridge Locks and return. Private Charters available year round. Teen Parties for student groups. James River Cruises, Dinner Cruises available groups of 30 or more. 65' vessel with snack bar, full bar, 2 decks.
Venture Inn Charters
www.ventureinncharters.com e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
800-853-5002, 757-850-8960, Fax: 757-722-7434. 766 Settlers Landing Rd, 23669. $
Scenic harbor cruises, bay/harbor fishing, winter whale watching.
Anniversary of the Battles of the Seven Day Campaign
June (June 28-30, 2002. 9:30-5)
804-356-8868. Held at the Richmond National Battlefield Park: 3215 E Broad St. Richmond. $
Shenandoah Heritage Farmer's Market
800-296-2905, 540-433-3929. Rt 11 S/I-81, exit 243 (121 Capenter Ln) 22801-9777
Antiques, Western wear, cannery, Civil War, restaurant, crafts, guns, gifts, bulk foods.
City of Hopewell Visitor Center
www.ci.hopewell.va.us E-mail: email@example.com
800-863-8687, 804-541-2461, Fax: 804-541-2459. I-295, exit 9A, Colonial Corner Shopping Center, 4100 Oaklawn Blvd, 23860.
City Point National Cemetery
www.ci.hopewell.va.us E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
800-863-8687, 804-541-2461, Fax: 804-541-2459. Ninth and Memorial Aves, 23860. Free
Civil War soldiers interred. Northern and Southern monuments. National Register.
City Point Open Air Museum
www.ci.hopewell.va.us E-mail: email@example.com
800-863-8687, 804-541-2461, Fax: 804-541-2459. (c/o Hopewell Visitor Center, 4100 Oaklawn Blvd). Open year-round, dawn-dusk.
Twenty-five way-side exhibits linking City Point's Civil War sites. Self guided tour, brochure available.
Isle of Wight
(800) 365-9339, (757) 357-5182, Fax: (757) 365-4360. Monument Circle. Open Th-Sat 11-4, Sunday 1-4. Free, W
Historic 1762 home of Major Francis Boykin who fought alongside Patrick Henry and George Washington during the Revolutionary War. A clever businessman, he added a Tavern to the home in later years and persuaded the powers that be to relocate the Isle of Wight Courthouse next door in 1800. He even built the original wing to help in his persuasion, thus enjoying the benefits of court personnel, observers and litigants as well as travelers. The 1800 Courthouse still stands today and the original wing serves as the county clerks offices. One of the few Courthouses whose records were not lost or burnt during the Civil War, the Courthouse is ideal for genealogy research.
Lee CO Civil War Days
276-346-0553. Held at Main St. 9-5.
Mt. Zion Church
(703) 777-0343. Box 15 20178
1851 church used by the Confederates as a meeting place for John Singleton Mosby's guerilla fighters & the Union's hospital. Annual reenactment of a 1863 Southern victory between Mosby and Forbes. The area is undergoing restoration.
Auto Tape Guide to Civil War Lexington
(540) 464-1100. Post Office Box 2, 24450
A 1-hr cassette driving tour to 14 locations around Lexington. Fully narrated tape plays in your cassette while driving at your own pace. Begin at the Lexington Visitors Center. Drive to Jackson House, Lee Chapel, Washington & Lee campus (drive by Presidents house where Robert E. Lee died), Stonewall Jackson Cemetery, through VMI grounds and much of historic downtown. Tour also directs you to Union artillery position and June, 1864 skirmish site. Guide tape features authentic civil war music and sound effects. A map/brochure is included. For tour information please visit our web site or call our telephone number. The tour tape is available in Lexington at Original Frameworks and The Bookery. Tour may also be purchased on the Internet by using Pay Pal through our website. FMI please email or call.
Chapel at Wash & Lee University
(703) 463-3777. Lexington, VA 24450
Built in 1867 during Lee's term as President of Washington College, the Chapel contains his office, a museum with items belonging to Lee and his family, the Washington-Curtis-Lee portrait collection, his tomb and the famous recumbent statue of General Lee by Valentine. His horse Traveller is buried nearby.
Lexington & the Rockbridge Area Visitor Center
(877) 453-9822, Fax: (540) 463-1105. 106 East Washington Street, 24450. Open 9-5. W
Front door to the community. Exhibits provide a visual introduction to Lexington & the Rockbridge area and its attractions. Travel counselors provide a warm welcome to the community, directions, brochures and maps. Restroom facilities, water fountain and soda machine are located inside the Center. Picnic table are available to visitors. The Accommodations Gallery allows visitors to peruse information on area bed & breakfasts, hotels and menus from local restaurants. A free local phone and a pay phone are available for visitors here. Visitors can also obtain a calendar of events for the area at the Center. Pre-arranged step-on guide service is offered for tour groups. Walking tour maps are available for all.
Lexington Civil War Company, INC
(540) 464-110. Post Office Box 2, 24450
A 1-hr cassette driving tour to 14 locations around Lexington. Fully narrated tape plays in your cassette while driving at your own pace. Begin at the Lexington Visitors Center. Drive to Jackson House, Lee Chapel, Washington & Lee campus (drive by Presidents house where Robert E. Lee died), Stonewall Jackson Cemetery, through VMI grounds and much of historic downtown. Tour also directs you to Union artillery position and June, 1864 skirmish site. Guide tape features authentic civil war music and sound effects. A map/brochure is included. For tour information please visit our web site or call our telephone number. The tour tape is available in Lexington at Original Frameworks and The Bookery. Tour may also be purchased on the Internet by using Pay Pay through our website. FMI please email or call.
House Medical Museum
(804) 847-1811. 4th and Taylor Street, 24504
Recorded commentary describes Civil War medical conditions at the medical office of Dr. John J. Terrell during the Civil War. Serves as monument to the memory of 365 soldiers who died of smallpox during the Civil War.
Jackson House Foundation
http://www.stonewalljackson.org/ Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
540-463-2552. Fax: (540) 463-4088. 8 East Washington St., 24450 Open M-Sat 9-5, Sun 1-5. Last tour begins at 4:30. $
Stonewall Jackson Memorial Cemetery
(540) 463-3777. South Main Street, 24450
Confederate General Stonewall Jackson is buried in the city Cemetery beneath an impressive statue by Edward Valentine. Over a hundred Confederate veterans are buried in the cemetery. Margaret Junkin Preston, the "Poetess of the Confederacy" is buried here. Map of gravesites is available at the entrance to the Cemetery.
Stonewall Jackson's Grave
(703) 463-2552. Stonewall Jackson Memorial Cemetery, 22450
Stonewall Jackson's grave is marked by Valentine's bronze statue of the general.
Virginia Military Institute Museum
(703) 464-7232. Jackson Memorial Hall, Letcher Avenue, 24450
Shelled and burned by the Union army after the battle of New Market. In Jackson Memorial Hall is a mural of the famous cadet charge during that battle. Includes Stonewall Jackson's war horse, Little Sorrel, among other Civil War exhibits. Exhibits illustrate the history and traditions of the Virginia Military Institute and includes Stonewall Jackson's war horse, Little Sorrel, a replica of a cadet room, cadet rings and an important gun collection.
Germanna Visitor Center
www.germanna.org E-mail: email@example.com
540-825-1496, Fax: 540-825-6572. Rt 3, Germanna Hwy (PO Box 693, Cupeper 22701), Locust Grove 22508. Open by appt. $, W
Site of Virginia's first German colony, 1714. Civil War site.
Trevilian Station Battlefield
540-967-1400, Fax: 540-967-9580. c/o Town of Louisa, 219 E Main St (PO Box 531), 23093.
Driving tour of Civil War battlefield. Brochure at Town Office.
Lynchburg Regional CVB
www.discoverlynchburg.org E-mail: REALVA@aol.com
800-732-5821, Fax: 434-522-9592. 12th and Church Sts, 24504.
800-732-5821, 434-847-1811. Memorial Ave & Fort Ave, 24502.
Civil War earthworks anchoring outer defenses. maps of defenses on grounds.
Lynchburg Historic Tours General Information
(804) 846-1868, Fax: (804) 846-4887. 700 Pearl Street, 22504. $
Lynchburg Historic Tours offers a range of tours in and around Lynchburg and the Central Virginia countryside. A city rich in history, period architecture, and local color, Lynchburg rises above the James River in the shadow of the Blue Ridge Mountains. Approximately 180 miles southwest of the nation's capital, this inviting city is a small turn off the beaten path and well worth the trip! Civil War History Tour.
Museum / Old Court House
(804) 847-1459. Ninth and Court Streets. P.O. Box 60, 24505. $, W
Restored 1855, Greek Revival style Court House interprets Lynchburg's history from the Monocan Indian tribes and early Quaker settlers through Lynchburg's founding in 1786, the Civil War, to the present industries and the city's role in both World Wars. Special exhibits throughout the year. The Old Court House is part of the Court House Historic District Walking tour. Copies of the tour are available at the Visitor Center.
800-732-5821, 434-847-1811. Ninth and Church Sts., 24504.
Lynchburg's most famous landmark honoring citizens who died in wars.
Old City Cemetery
www.gravegarden.org E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
434-847-1465, Fax: 434-856-2004. 401 Taylor St, 24501. Open Daily. W
Restored landmark features history, horticulture, Confederate Section, four museums.
Pest House Medical Museum
www.gravegarden.org E-mail: email@example.com
434-847-1465, Fax: 434-856-2004. Old City Cemetery, 401 Taylor St, 24501. Open Daily
Civil War quarantine hospital and country medical office.
434-845-0551. 907 Bailey St, 24501.
Burial place to more than 225 Confederate soldiers (established 1823)
Spring Hill Cemetery
434-846-0801. 3000 Fort Ave, 24501.
Burial place to Gen. Jubal A. Early and other Confederate generals.